Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Save money on flocking

I recently flocked my scope using advice from an article I had in an old Sky and Telescope magazine. I put up a post about it but couldn't link to the article which didn't appear to be online. But I just found it here:

http://www.urania.be/forum/download.php?f=1&file=baffling.pdf

If you're thinking of flocking your scope, this article could potentially save you a lot of time and effort, because the point is that you may not need to do the entire tube: I got great results just using part of a single sheet.

They're sold out of protostar there, i'll google and see what else I can find. Otherwise, it's a trip to hobbycraft for me.

Do you think hobbycraft felt sheets would soak up dew? (I'm not sure what protostar is made of, whether it would do this too, or whether it's an issue even if it does...)

The dew worried me too. Surely the felt will just soak it up ;) That said, i've never noticed any dew inside the tube, only sometimes on the secondary.

I have no idea what material is used for Protostar.

Protostar is a fully synthetic material that is completely unaffected by moisture, sure it will probably soak it up, but also the actual material is unaffected by moisture, also it doesn't 'moult'. Moisture effect and moulting are issues I'd be wary of with felt.

Archived