Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What equipment for shooting flats?

MG1

While chatting to several people about imaging up at Kielder the subject of flats came up, and whilst I sort of understand the concept I couldn't work out how best to do these.

A few suggested a t-shirt over a frame with a million candle torch...(or how to win friends and influence people at star camp!;)) and someone mentioned some clever panels that in the light of day I can't recall what they are.

I have a large A2ish light box that I used to use for trannies, but can't imaging hoying that up ontop of the scope at zenith and not disrupting the image train.

So, the question is what are you using and are there any lessons to be learnt here...?

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

EL panels are the way forward IMO, many members are using these successfully now, more details can be found at:

EL Panels

I've sandwiched one of these panels between a sheet of opaque white and a black backing sheet. The panel gives extremely even illumination which is what you want for flats, I tried a homemade LED lightbox but it was too large and the illumination was far from even. The panels can be run from a 12v dc transformer supply or through a battery pack (you stipulate which you want on ordering).

Regards

Steve

Ah, Brilliant, that's the ticket.

I'm guessing for my 132 I could get away with an A5 panel?

I'm assuming that since they will only be used for short exposures the battery would be fine, although it would easily plug into the kendrick as i'm assuming the amp draw isn't going to be very high.

I now know what to ask for for my birthday ;)

Cheers

Mike

• 7 months later...

Hi guys,

Would one of these be suitable for flats with my Canon 1000d prime focused on my SWE 200P? It seems that it's a simple method to allow evenly light flats to be taken.

Is it just placed over the end of the OTA & secured by some mechanism? Could you post a picture of your implementation of it?

Thanks

I'm really pleased with my earlsman panel and have built a thin mdf and Perspex frame to support it and protect the cable entries which I've been told can get damaged.

Will post some pics when I get a chance.

Archived