NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher Refractors - advice?

I'm quite taken by some of the Skywatcher refractors and I'm thinking of lashing out some cash on one (<£300). Have any of you guys any experience of these, I'd like to know if there are any quality problems that I should know about. I'm not expecting miracles, but a nice little refractor for planetary stuff would be fun, and damn but they look purty! The short-tube 80 looks so sweet I want to take it home and cuddle it. Is that so wrong?

Hi Kenny,

Welcome to the forum.

The best small Skywatcher refractor for planetary work is probably the ED80 (also the most expensive, always the way, eh?). The shortube refractors arn't really suited to that type of viewing, they are most for the low magnification widefield stuff. If you can't stretch to an ED80 then you'd be better off looking at the longer Skywatchers if its def. the planets you want to view.

Another option that give cracking planetary views is the Skywatcher Mak/Cas range, they are designed for planetary/lunar use and take high magnification very easily/well but the field of view can be quite small as a result.

The ED80 is a good all round scope as well as being a decent planetary scope, the 102mm/127mm Mak/Cass are probably better purely planetary/lunat scopes but poorer all round due to the field of view.

Gaz

I currently have an ETX105PE so I know all about the problems with field of view, but you cant argue with the sharpness and portability. The short-tube 80 is just cute. I dont necessarily think it's the one for me, just cute. :laugh: I was also thinking in terms of planning ahead, where one day in a year or two I can strap my 3 or 4" refractor to my main scope and use it for guiding. I dont want to spend zillions getting a takahashi or something, hell I'm colourblind anyway, so something around the 2-300 pound mark will do me just fine I think. If no one has a terrible tale concerning the quality of the SW range I think I'll go for a browse and see what takes my fancy in the range.

I have one of the dinky 80mm short tube ones and CA isn't bad on it. For the planets its a no hoper unless you have some 0.5mm eyepieces lying around. Its a widefield 'scope and good for big stuff like this:-

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=6492.0

Should be good for M42 and M45 as they are big.

I also have a 120mm long tube 'scope which is marvelous for lunar shots with the D50 stuck on the end of it.

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=4824.0

Both are quite nice 'scopes and cheap second hand. For some reason people keep upgrading their gear.

HTH

Captain Chaos

For £300 you might be able to find a second hand ED100, an excellent scope if you can find one in your budget

You've still got to mount it. :wink: More £££££

Its why I suggested the ED80, you can get one secondhand and a mount for around £300. the aperture obviously affects the planetary views but it is surprisingly good for a 80mm scope...and in budget. :laugh:

I found several ED80's for sale on astro buy/sell but I have to admit I'm a little itchy about throwing £300 at something only 80mm with no mount. I'd need to find a decent mount as well, something like an H/EQ-5 to stick it on. Brand new I could get a Skywatcher Evo102 or 120 and an EQ3-2 mount for £349, which is tempting.

Another one you may want to consider is the Antares Sentinel 80. If you want cute, then this is a scope you want to own. Actually 'sexy' is a more fitting description. Compared to this scope the entire Skywatcher range is pig ugly!

Doesn't have quite the optics of the ED80 but is a damn fine performer, even on the planets. It's also very, very compact. Has a focuser that is dreamy smooth to use. Comes in a handy carry bag. But best of all it's only £179 brand new and that includes delivery and VAT. Oh and it can be upgraded to a full blown flourite apo at any time. If you are lucky you may snag that upgrade for £100 as one of the members here did.

BARGAIN!!

Russ

Archived