Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I have stacked some images in DSS of M42. The problem I now face is how do I remove the seams where the frames appear tgo overlap one another. I've spent 2 weeks trying to sort this out and am no further on.....Help please

What software did you use to stack the frames?

Deep Sky Stacker (which is free and is widely used hereabouts) does not leave any seams AFAIK and there a several different options regarding framing (intersection, mosaic etc.)

If you did it manually in PS or something then you could crop just inside the seams all the way around.

Hope this is helpful

Carl... It's possible to do with some very careful adjustments post stack. Although with my M45 data, I gave up, and discarded one nights data (the shorter night) to stack just the aligned images. If it's only a little along the edges cropping might be best, I opted for this, as careful adjustments is something I've not worked out very well yet...

Carl, In DSS on the result tab of the stacking parameters are you set to Standard or Mosaic mode ? That looks like the result of Mosaic where all the frames are joined but left as is. Standard stacks and crops all the frames to the reference frame.

The other way of getting odd lines is if you have lights over several nights with different framing... you get a result (in Standard mode) that is cropped to the reference but with lines running through it where the overlap is off. I've got an example somewhere, I can find it if you want to see.

Yes I was Peter, in the hope there maybe a bit more nebulosity lurking in there and to even the framing out. I don't mind doing a bit of cropping, just didn't expect to have to crop so much. I suppose my framing could have been off (seems likely) as this is a stack captured over 2 nights but the camera was placed the same orientation both nights. I'll have to see if I can find the offending frames and omit them perhaps...

Here's mine Carl...

m4529x6.jpg

Running diagonally through the frame across the upper left and lower right... I was misaligned by quite a lot between two sessions.

Looking at again, did you have some drift during the session ?

Something you could try... Find a frame that's sort of mid session, and best represents the framing you want, right click it in DSS and set it as the reference frame. All the other frames will then stack to that.

Thanks to all. I'll have another look at it John. They were guided using PHD so any drift should not have happened per each session. There must have been some slight difference in camera orientation between the 2 sessions....

Archived