Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher 200P Dob

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my current 70mm refractor to the above mentioned. Does anyone own one of these that could give me some advice? I need to know the following things

1 What are the views like through it?

2 Does it require collimating every time it is used?

3 Is it heavy to transport?

4 How much space does it take up?

Thanks

Kelly

I am a dedicated planetary observer and use the 8" F/6 OTA but mounted on a Vixen GP-E equatorial head. With this setup I have seen some great planetary views - see my drawings in the sketching section. My eyes are average - people with better eyesight will see even more.

No - it's very stable, but east to collimate if required.

They are not heavy, as long as you have no health issues you should be ok - try to see one in a showroom.

Again try to see one.

They are a superb all round scope and really good value for money - only issue I found was sticktion with the dob base but I now use it on an EQ mount.

HTH

I have a 200P DS and love it. currently on a EQ5 with CG5 tripod soon to become a GPE on CG5 tripod cant wait for those smooth RA & DEC gears..

You cant go wrong really. just wished the 200P DS had a dob mount!.

Rob

I give mine an hour to cool down and then the views are, to me at least, breathtaking. I've had some great nights out under the stars. Highlights so far include Jupiter, Mars in January and the Ring Nebula. I've also had some nice views of M31, M1, M45, M42 and many others. Changing eyepieces around allows me to take time to really appreciate some of these delicate, almost ethereal, DSOs :p

I'm still looking forward to my first views of Saturn :headbang:

I haven't needed to yet and I've had it since last September.

I just move it from the conservatory out onto the patio, so leave the tube on the mount. It's quite easily manageable even for me with a knackered back.

About 3 foot diameter and 4-5 foot high.

Archived