NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focal length!!!

erm assuming i managed to upload the files correctly, my first shots of the moon. AWEFULL!! I can't focus, i need to adjust the focal lenghth, the distance between my compact digital camera lens and my secondary mirror is about 5cm, I expect I might need it much longer...?

post-15697-133877431434_thumb.jpg

post-15697-133877431439_thumb.jpg

post-15697-133877431444_thumb.jpg

Looks like you're using a "point an shoot" camera behind an eyepiece.

A low power eyepice should be used, say 25mm.

You need an Afocal camera adaptor to hold the camera square and in line with the optical axis of the eyepiece.

Adaptors

I'd say your images are over exposed, try a faster setting on the shutter if you can.

mmm i had it on the fastest shutter speed, i think i got a chance of workin on the exposure n the shot bein out was me not trakin properly as i was more interested in gettin it to work, i have the camera fixed very securley to my lowest power eye piece, i just cannot get it to focus, perhaps that's just my camera then?

assuming you focused the scope first visually, the camera focus should be set to infinity - have you got a setting for that? Also, if the camera is seeing a lot of dark sky, it might be over exposing to compensate. Have you got the camera settings (exif) data from your shots?

oh, you say "the distance between my compact digital camera lens and my secondary mirror is about 5cm", are you using an eyepiece, is the camera actually inside the tube??

Archived