8"-10" skywatcher explorers

What are the actual size difference in these scopes??

iv just bought the 10" on an eq6 and im quite shocked at the size, im thinking of maybe downsizing to the 8", maybe a swap for someone wishing to upgrade....

out of interest how much do secondhand skywatcher 250's on a motorised eq6 go for?? i think i got a good deal on mine :headbang:

Seriously - you have a very good combo there that cost around £1000 new. It's probably worth checking the archived sales section to see what they achieve second hand.

I can tell you that the 8" F/6 Skywatcher tube is much lighter than the 10" and easily carried.

HTH

Seriously - you have a very good combo there that cost around £1000 new. It's probably worth checking the archived sales section to see what they achieve second hand.

I can tell you that the 8" F/6 Skywatcher tube is much lighter than the 10" and easily carried.

HTH

maybe its the 8" that i need, im only a beginner at all this and it was just an impulse purchase, maybe if i feel its too much for me i could see if someone fancies a swap...or just re-sell it. il see what the manchester skies bring me

i payed 500 for my eq6 goto bud ive just brought a 250 ds (beast)

i want goto...sounds soooo much easier

I have the 8" mounted on a Vixen GP-E. The whole setup is relatively light - good for my back. It's a very good and capable combo for visual astronomy.

The EQ6 by all accounts is very heavy BUT very stable and excellent for astrophotography.

I was at one point thinking about upgrading to a 10" but they are heavy and my mount would not handle it.

I would persevere with your new acquisition for a while as it's a good setup.

its gonna take a while to get used to handling it as its so much different to my skywatcher 130. this new one is hard to accurately point at things and i know what you mean about the weight of the eq6...that is one heavy piece of kit

I'd keep it even though you just starting, you will want a bigger scope in the future but with the set up you have you wont need to get a bigger one, you can just upgrade the one you have (a better finder-scope ). Enjoy ( I envy you ) as my budget is getting the explorer 200p on a eq5

I'll buy from FLO as never too keen on ebay had bad times with them.

But you have a cracking scope and great mount so I would think twice before gettin shot of it.

Am torn between the 8" explorer200p and the 10" skyliner 250xp both same price but the dob is bigger and might just get that lol.

if you decide in the futer you wish to have a go at imaging your set with the eq6 it is heavy but worth it you can also up grade to goto in the futer aswell and your get some cracking veiws bud have a play for a fue months first see how you get go i go mine second hand quite lucky really what did your set up set u bk

Superjody

If you are handy with a screwdriver you could build a dob base for your 250 which is easier to mount as it's lower to the ground, the eq6 need only come out on special occasions or when you build that observatory and is permanently installed.

I was in a similar situation a few years ago whenI bought a 10" dob and mounted the OTA on a HEQ5. I personally found it to be a pain to setup and sometimes had to stand on something to reach the eyepiece. I downsized to an 8" and was pleased that I did. They're so much easier to setup and use and the difference between the 10" and the 8" at the eyepiece isn't that great.

HTH

Tony..

if you decide in the futer you wish to have a go at imaging your set with the eq6 it is heavy but worth it you can also up grade to goto in the futer aswell and your get some cracking veiws bud have a play for a fue months first see how you get go i go mine second hand quite lucky really what did your set up set u bk

i am considering imaging but i need to learn alot more first and the goto is something i would like, how much are they???

a 250mm scope is big but managable IMO why not stick with it for a bit to see if you get used to it over time, if not then downsize, remember aperture rules.

think thats what im gonna try, if not il probably go for the 8" on an eq5 :headbang:

Superjody

If you are handy with a screwdriver you could build a dob base for your 250 which is easier to mount as it's lower to the ground, the eq6 need only come out on special occasions or when you build that observatory and is permanently installed.

now thats a blumming good idea

I was in a similar situation a few years ago whenI bought a 10" dob and mounted the OTA on a HEQ5. I personally found it to be a pain to setup and sometimes had to stand on something to reach the eyepiece. I downsized to an 8" and was pleased that I did. They're so much easier to setup and use and the difference between the 10" and the 8" at the eyepiece isn't that great.

HTH

Tony..

hmmmm 8" for me??? ha ha

please dont down grade the mount you would be crazy too if you want to image you will need the goto/tracking device for the eq6 you just need a goto controler i think ! not cheep lol try second hand worth it makes finding objects easy see more for you money lol

Archived