Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Detail on Mars

Alestrom

Hello everyone

I recently upgraded from the eyepieces that came with my scope and got a 5mm Baader Hyperion hoping to see more detail on Mars, and other planets in due course.

The improvement is significant and the polar cap has been easy to make out, but I'm still finding that the brightness of the disc is making it difficult to see any dark markings, and there seems to be glare in the eyepiece which looks like diffraction spikes.

For this reason I am considering getting variable neutral density filter so I can reduce the glare to suit.

Does anyone think this will be worthwhile? I've seen one on FLO for about £30.

I will be using it for other objects, Mars is just convenient at the moment! That's why I thought a neutral filter would be the best bet. I can't really justify getting a whole bunch of filters unfortunately

I would say get hold of one of the Neodymium light pollution filters. These are cr@p at reducing light pollution (In Edinburgh anyway!) but great at enhancing features on planets - it brings out the contrast.

I have a "0.9" neutral filter that I tried on Mars to reduce glare and it worked very well - It certainly brought some detail into view that was impossible to see through the glare otherwise. Its also useful for use with the Moon.

Archived