SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Meteorite Hunting

Carl

Hi all

I want to start going meteorite hunting as i`m fasinated with asteroids/meteors/meteorites.

And since i`ve never started before, i was just wandering if anybody could help me get started.

Like where abouts to look, etc :laugh:

Any info would be greatly appreciated. :wink:

The best way i found to see meteors is to use a camera on a long exposure setting. Take 30 second or longer exposures if your light pollution will allow and you will likely see enough to keep you happy all night hehe. As for visual observing, im sure others can give you more advice

The best way i found to see meteors is to use a camera on a long exposure setting. Take 30 second or longer exposures if your light pollution will allow and you will likely see enough to keep you happy all night hehe. As for visual observing, im sure others can give you more advice

Thanks GC.But i`m also on about collecting meteorites when they land on earth.But i also want to see them enter the atmosphere.So thanks for reply.

Finding a meteorite that has fallen is an extremely rare occurance - especially in this country (and Europe generally) as our weather conditions soon make meteorites decompose and become unrecognisable.

The best places to find meteorites are in arid areas such as North Africa, the Atacama Desert, North American desert areas (eg: Arizona) and the Nullabar Plain in Australia. Antartica is also proving good but for different reasons - i. the meteorites show up agains the ice and snow (as Gordon says) and ii. the gradual rotational action of some icefields (notably those known as blue ice fields) continually bring meteorites that fell long ago to the surface. Private meteorite hunting and collection is now banned in most countries (it's been completely forbidden in Antartica since 1976). You are supposed to get special permission from the relevent authorities to hunt for and then export meteorites.

Obviously you never know your luck but I know of only 1 instance in recent times where an individual has deliberately serched for and found a meteorite in the GB - and that was a professional dealer from Scotland who has been searching a particular location where a fall had been region for months using metal detectors etc.

If you want to see great meteorite specimens try the Natural History Museum or the National Space Centre (you can actually handle some there).

Or you could buy some of your own via e.bay - no, I'm not joking, there are quite a few nice specimens for sale at most times - some are expensive though. As a guide the common types go for around £1-£3 per gram. Good ones to look out for are Gibeon and Sikhote-Alin (both irons). Watch out for Nantan / Nandan and Campo Del Ceilo irons - they are genuine and often cheap but can rust very quickly in our climate unless stored in totally dry conditions.

Hope that is some help,

John,

North Somerset

Archived