NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How to locate dust bunnies?

Helen

I've been imaging with the DMK and the PST today. I've got a load of dots on screen from dust bunnies, but I'm having trouble locating where they are in the imaging train :p I don't think they're on the camera as I can rotate that and the dots don't move, the same goes for the barlow. I've tried live brushing of the front of the scope, but that doesn't help. That only leaves the tiny lens at the back of the scope and I've given that a clean too :headbang: Could it be inside?? I hope not!!

I remember some reference a while ago to some software that could analyse dust bunnies and tell you how far away from the camera they were. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

Many thanks

Helen

PS can you do flats with a PST, DMK and registax??

I don't think they're on the camera as I can rotate that and the dots don't move,

Then they ARE on the camera sensor!

With my ToUcam, I just flood the scope aperture with light and let the capture software (on Full Auto) find its own exposure parameters and within a few seconds they show up brilliantly.

DMKs are notorious for dust bunnies. Take a look here: The Imaging Source Community - View Single Post - Need to clean the ccd sensor of my DMK for TIS's method of removing them. Another thing I would say is only ever use a clean cotton wool bud and only ever move it in one direction. If you swirl it around, you end up depositing more crud on the lens (I'm speaking from personal experience here). Lots of clean buds, moving one way only. That reminds me, I must clean mine before imaging again tonight :headbang:

DMKs are notorious for dust bunnies.

Do yourself a favour, buy a clear glass "filter" & leave it screwed onto the nosepiece at all times except when actually cleaning the sensor. Really cuts down the reproduction rate of those pesky bunnies.

Mine always has an end cap on the nose piece, except when it is being screwed into the filter wheel. I really am careful, but there is one bunny I need to exterminate tonight. Anyone got some myxomatosis bacteria around :headbang::p

All of the above

I managed to get the solar scope out today and have been chasing bunnies all afternoon!

chasing dust bunnies always reminds me of Jasper Carrot and I've got this mole

I have one on the ccd and short of a small nuclear device it is resisting removal

Steve

Archived