Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Sywatcher ED80s

News is it's 80mm FL500mm f6.25, black, 2" Crayford two speed fine focuser and a retractable dew shield aluminum will come with travel case.

Sounds nice and should knock the back end out of the secondhand ED80 market if they can control the colour at f6.

One for the hand luggage (if they let them on planes anytime soon) mob. :laugh:

The spec sounds very similar to the new Celestron ONYX 80EDF - could they be related perhaps ?.

If the price is right your old Tasco ST80's position as my "grab and go" might be in danger Gordon !.

John,

North Somerset

I think I'd like to see a couple of reviews before I jump in. I reckon suppressing colour at f6.25 is quite a bit more challenging than at f7.5 (or f9 for my ED100). If they can do it and keep the price in the £300-£400 range that would be something.

Hope they go for a nice colour scheme this time like puce and lime green !!.

John,

North Somerset

80mm FPL53 glass at f6.25 will not be as colour corrected as 80mm FPL53 glass at f7.5. Theres no getting around that, it's whether its noticable.

I'd guess it the same glass, otherwise we'd be seeing ED100s at f7. The scope isn't based on the optics , its based on getting a small, nice looking scope to sell to the grab'n'go buyers.

Colour correction isn't just a function of the glass used, it's about the skill and technology in shaping the glass.

Good point,

Also, if I am not mistaken, only the front element is fluorite (not unusual).

It is the quality/density/refractive index of both elements that will determine its ability to suppress false colour.

Archived