NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

WO FLT98 with FeatherTouch R&P Focuser

I bought the FLT98 DDG at Christmas, and while I'd rate the optics and the build quality of the OTA as 10 out of 10, the DDG focuser left a lot to be desired. It took hours to get it adjusted right and even then I wasn't very impressed. As the design of the focuser meant that the drawtube is only held at the bottom of the focuser, with no roller bearings at the top, the drawtube can easily be twisted about an 1/8 inch from side to side at the top.

Ian King Imaging is now carrying the FeatherTouch rack and pinion focusers so I ordered one. I had to wait over a month as there was no adaptor to fit the FLT98 DDG tube, but Starlight Instruments have now produced one, although Ian had to send the tube from his own FLT98 DDG to them so they could design the adaptor. The FT3035 is a 3" rack and pinion and is Starlight Instruments newest focuser, very similar the the 3.5" but lighter and a bit more compact, and will handle the same load, and unfortunately is similarly priced as well. I wondered if I should spend so much on a focuser, but after experiencing the smoothness and precision of the rack and pinion focuser and its effortless ability to handle a lot of weight I have have to say, yes it was worth every penny. The scope is lighter and better balanced as well. Crayford focusers, even those by FeatherTouch or MoonLite, suffer in comparison.

Although it is being used on an Alt-Az mount as my grab'n'go scope at the moment, hopefully about September time it should be sitting on a CGEM mount.

John

P.S.

OK, OK I'll admit it, it looks ______ ______ (filll in the blanks) as well :)

They are bogglingly good focusers. I keep fiddling with the one on our new TEC just for the hell of it. However, I notice that the little inlay of stainless steel for the friction pads, which is described in my manual, is not present on my example. I will forgive them this small economy.

Ian King as good as ever, I see.

Ollly

A couple of photos with the scope on the Alt-Az mount.

The head is a Manfrotto 405 geared head with the centre section removed to make it into a two way head, witch also puts the slow motion knobs in a more convenient position. The clutches on each axis can be released by turning and holding the large knobs. An ADM dovetail saddle is used so that any regular Vixen / Synta dovetail can be used. The scope can also be removed by releasing the quick release plate on the head, very convenient ! The tripod is a Manfrotto 475 geared one.

The mount handles the weight of the FLT98 without any problems. It's truly grab'n'go as the whole set-up can be picked up by the handle on the tube rings.

It's taken me a while to come up with what I find to be the ideal portable Alt-Az mount, and I've sold three cheaper scopes and some other bits and pieces to buy the FLT98 and get it set-up the way I want it. Now I just have to save up some more until I can afford to get the CGEM mount later this year and I'll have the whole set-up that I want.

John

I'm trying really really hard to convince myself it looks really really horrible and has no place whatsoever on a future shopping list.

So far I'm failing spectacularly miserably. :)

Remind me never to look through anything that looks that delicious and that expensive.

This being able to resist everything but temptation, really really sucks sometimes. :(

Awesome job John.

Archived