Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ mount purchase?

I am thinking about purchasing an equatorial mount for my 102SLT so that I can start getting some half-decent long-exposure pictures. One obvious choice is the Celestron CG5 mount, which is currently on offer for £499. However, the GOTO option is not a major requirement, so I am wondering if a cheaper option might be better. The HEQ5 seems to offer all that the CG5 does, without the GOTO, for £475. The EQ5, with optional polarscope and motors, works out at £331 and the EQ3-2, with polarscope and motors, comes in at £275. Although I suspect this last mount may be sufficient, I am rather concerned about the aluminium tripod. Haven’t been able to find a price for the steel alternative on the internet, but can’t imagine it would be cheaper. Another consideration is that, due to the local light pollution, it needs to be easily transportable (I’ve only got a small car).

So, come on all you experienced astrophotographers – let’s have your views? What is the minimum I could get away with and still get decent results with a 102mm refractor (660mm focal length)? What do the more expensive mounts offer to make them worth the extra dosh? Does anyone know if any of the above mounts could be attached to my 6SE tripod (that could also reduce the cost)?

Thanks to everyone in advance for your input.

The SE tripod is not designed to take an EQ series mount.

The EQ3-2 can be acquired at lot cheaper second hand. The CG-4 is similar to the EQ3-2 but comes with a tubular steel tripod. I have both mounts and they do track well for observing once correctly leveled and correctly polar aligned, though I am not sure if the EQ3-2 or CG-4 would be ideal for serious imaging. I can not really comment on imaging as I am only just getting into it.

Another alternative is a good quality wooden tripod, I have a berlach tripod which is as steady as a rock when correctly leveled.

As you say the better the tripod the steadier it will be to support the choosen mount and telescope for the image result you aspire to.

I think that the EQ3/4 is not up to serious imaging. This is based on seeing guests trying to use them for long exposure imaging. It is possible, just, if you are very good. I don't know the Celestron mount at all. (Or I do, I had one visit, but it died on arrival! I wouldn't damn it on those grounds because any mount can pack up.)

I would go for the EQ5 pro. You say you don't want GoTo but in imaging it really is very important. I often image things that I can't even see in our 20 inch Newt, let alone the imaging refractors. You save time, and time is the big enemy in imaging. There is never enough of it. You abslotely do NOT want to be taking out your camera, putting in an EP, finding your object and then refocusing your camera. Focus takes a long time to perfect. If things go belly up (read WHEN things go belly up) a GoTo gets you back in action fast. If you have to take out the camera you will also have to spend time reorietating it as before, and finding focus, to continue your run.

Really I would go for GoTo. See what others think. I have read many times in threads like this that folks consider the EQ5 a minimum for imaging and I can only say that I agree. Bear in mind that the next stop after the EQ6, at least the only next stop that would interest me, is the Losmandy G11 at over £3000. Mounts are expensive.

Olly

Demon

If you intending to go down the imaging route, think long term even now or you might end up wasting a lot of money.

You'll find that the mount will become the most important aspect of your kit. At some stage, you will also want to think about some form of guiding. Your mount needs to be able therefore to have the capacity for a guiding set-up, typically a 2nd smaller scope.

Although the EQ3 or CG4 might just be suitable now, they wouldn't be a longer term proposition. If you have the cash (and it's easy for me to spend someone else's money!) consider the HEQ5 or even the EQ6. Like Olly, I'd also recomend you to seriously consider GoTo. It might seem like a luxury at this stage but when it comes to imaging the less bright objects, you want to spend your limited time doing the imaging and not searching for them

HTH

Steve

Thank you all for your input.

I hadn't even considered the possibility of wanting to image something not visible in the scope, but can see that GOTO would be useful for that! I appreciate that, if I get this wrong, it could be a very expensive mistake. My problem is the common one of having limited resources. If I spend extra money on paying for GOTO, I have to go for a cheaper basic setup, which would presumably reduce the stability of the overall package compared to a non-GOTO setup :):BangHead:.

On the whole, opinion seems to be coming down in favour of the skywatcher mounts rather than the celestron. As I see it, the things in favour of the celestron would be the slightly larger-legged tripod (presumably giving more stability??), the fact that I am already reasonably acquainted with the celestron way of doing things (through my 6SE mount) and the greater number of objects in the database. However, the SW mount still provides 25 user-defined objects and so I could presumably add the necessary co-ordinates for 'what i want to image tonight' into some of those and so the extra 27000 objects would become a little superfluous. Can't imagine wanting to tackle more than 25 objects in one sitting anyway.

Must admit that what I like about the SW option is that the EQ5, HEQ5 and EQ6 all seem to come with the option of buying a 'standard' model and adding the computerization at a later date. OK, this would work out about £50 more expensive in total than buying a fully computerized mount now, but would possibly put an EQ6 almost within sight of my price range now and I could add the GOTO when I start working my way down to fainter objects. Would also mean that I would be covered if I were to purchase a bigger scope (not an imminant proposition - I've owned bigger scopes in the past, have not got on with them and had to sell them on - but trying to think long-term).

So, do people think this would be an intelligent plan, or am i still completely missing something (other than this mount:D)?

Thanks

As someone who has both the Nexstar SLT102 and an (unguided) HEQ5 mount, on which I sometimes mount the 102 OTA, I would say do not expect miracles! I can get about twice the exposure time on the HEQ5 than the SLT, but that is all. Which usually means 1min on the HEQ5 and 30secs on the SLT. If you are expecting 5min+ exposures you will need to spend money on guiding.

NigelM

I had a CG5GT, and although it was a geat mount for visual work it was very hard work trying to get it to behave well for imaging. The goto was very, very accurate but getting the thing to guide well was problematic. On the odd occassion where it worked, it worked well, but that was few and far betwee.

So, I upgraded to a HEQ5 Pro Synscan. The difference is night and day! Goto is always bang on when properly aligned. Guiding is a breeze, right out of the box. And now I have it running under EQMod its soooooo easy to use. Worth every penny IMO!

So, if you want my advice, go for at least a HEQ5, a base model can be upgraded later but you will have the base to build a great mount on. If you can stretch a bit more then go for the HEQ5 Syntrek, its the same as the Synscan but does not come with the fancy hand set, but does have the Synscans motors and boards in the mount. You could then get a EQDIR Module from FLO and run it from a laptop and EQMod and have full goto.

If imaging is going to be your thing then get the best mount you can afford. Dont do as I did and think, ah it'll be fine, I'll get that working. You'll end up wasting time and money and eventually end up getting the mount you should have bought now.

Just my 2p worth mate, hope it helps.

Gary

I agree, get at least the Syntrek version of either the HEQ5 or 6. You can use it manually, it has all the drives, etc, of the pro version, and you can later get an eqdir interface adapter to directly control it (with goto, etc) from a laptop with free software (Stellarium, ascom, eqmod, etc).

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for your input. I have decided that an HEQ5 syntrek with an EQDIR goto module is a sensible way to go. This means I don't have the cash yet to make the purchase, but agree with the apparent concensus that waiting and getting something good is better than getting something I will need to replace in six months.

Demonperformer, about 6 months ago i had the same problem as you, wanting a good mount but not really having the funds at the time to get what i considered (after all the advice on here) the best mount for me, the Skywatcher EQ6pro.

Believe me, im the type of person that wants everything the day before i think about it!..this time tho, i took notice of the advice i was given, and saved the extra cash to get the eq6 pro, altho i very nearly didnt due to impatience and nearly bought the eq5 instead:eek:

Trust me, you dont know how happy i am i stuck it out, the EQ6 is everything i could ask for and even tho at this moment in time im doing unguided, i can do 5 minutes with no star trailing at all!..im going to push that the next clear night and see how long I can actually get.

As long as you dont mind the weight, wait untill you have the funds and get the EQ6 pro...you wont regret it:)

You will need a guider for long exposure - though Nadeem does wonders without.

I can't see much wrong with your upgrade plan but check out the details with a good dealer like FLO.

Olly

Thanks Olly, Funny most of my previous unguided work was actually done with a EQ5 & CG5 mount, Between the two I preferred the latter, only because the tripod legs were 2" in diameter compared with the EQ5 & HEQ5 mounts, thus adding more stability over the mount & also a very simple mount to control. But i've always emphasised about Unguided work, Good Polar Alignment & Balance is Critical, with lots of patience & sorry to say "these days people don't have that".

Cheers

Nadeem.

Archived