Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Satrun for the first time WOW, WOW WOW!!!

JulianB

Saw Saturn last night for the first time, I hadn't been too sure where it was but when I found it, it was unmistakable, it almost looked like a cartoon painted onto a black backdrop, incredibly surreal, the rings were so clear, could see planet detail and could make out 4 moons easily.

I first viewed it with the 9mm Nagler (133x), and then increased magnification using the 2.5 powermate and 13mm Nagler giving 230x, the 9mm + 2.5 combination (332x) just made things dimmer.

Compared to my first view of Mars posted here it was like chalk and cheese:

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-planetary/96778-first-look-mars.html#post1372304

The main thing was a dry night, whereas the Mars session everything misted up all the time last night was reasonably mild and it made the experience much more enjoyable as I had no problems with dew whatsoever, the other thing I noticed was Saturn stayed in my field of view a lot longer than Mars did, I guess because its further away?

Finally the elevation was such that I could sit and view things comfortably without breaking my back, all in all it was an incredible experience, after weeks of non viewing due to cloudy (and wet) nights where at times I lost a bit of interest, this has made me realize why I got into Astronomy in the first place!

Julian

Skywatcher 250PX Truss Tube Dobsonian

AstroZap Light Shroud

Skywatcher supplied 25mm Plossl

Televue Nagler 13mm

Televue Nagler 9mm

Televue Power-Mate

Hotech cross hair collimator

congrats on your first view of saturn

always looks good after straining to see detail on mars

its just a pity that the ring are at a shallow angle at the moment

when they are at there maximum angle it is even better:)

but its still the most wonderfull object in the sky

its been a total washout weather wise in essex the last week.

have heard it is going to be cold and bright next week

fingers crossed:rolleyes:

clear skies

lance

Archived