Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First doubles!

astoc

Okay so it was only Mizar to begin with, but it's still pretty amazing to resolve these two stars in a small scope.

The second, which I was really happy to find, was Xi UMa, or I think it's called Alula Australis? That one was pretty cool, the second star looked much smaller and a slightly different colour to my eyes.

Unfortunately I think theres a lot of high altitude cloud cover so I didn't really get to see anything else, but i'm getting there!

Didn't think binaries could be interesting, there are a couple of others I've got listed that apparently are more varied in colour.

I'm using a 70mm refractor if anybody has any suggestions!

John

Excellent, and there is nothing wrong with starting with Mizar. Like a lot of this hobby, observing doubles requires 'getting your eye in' - start with something easy and work up to the difficult ones.

I suspect you will shortly find yourself succumbing to 'aperture fever' in the desire to split closer and fainter doubles.

Then, not only will the gap between the stars you are observing start to go down, but your bank balance will miraculously do the same thing:D:D

lol :)

I'm waiting before I invest anything. I can be quite fickle about my interests, but if I do get into this theres an old guitar amp gathering dust just waiting to be sold for astronomy kit. The older I get the more and more I realise I can't sing. :(

John

Archived