NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jodrell Bank - any nearby attractions?

mba007

Hi folks,

Am just wondering if anyone knows of astro-places one can visit nearby to Jodrell Bank? My society is planning a visit soon but we're not convinced that there is enough at Jodrell Bank itself to fill an entire day, hence my question.

Thanks,

DrMartin

You can walk in the Arboretum, which is nice, and it has (or had) a large scale solar system model to discover.

Orion Optics in Crewe might give you a tour - but wouldn't hold my breath.

You might be able to tour round Manchester AS observatory, but it's right in the City.

You could try getting in touch with MaccAstro - they may be able to help.

/callump

The visitor centre is very poor (and I have told them directly!) but the site is superb, good kids playground, the scopes are impressive, the planetarium show is very good, and lots of national trust stuff nearby

Stoke on Trent is just 30 mins or so down the road and Keele University there has a very interesting observatory with two domes and two big scopes (a refractor and a newt).

I'd phone ahead though to make an arrangement for visiting.

• 1 year later...

Archived