Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

HEQ5 - How much of a step forward over the EQ5 ?

John

I have a couple of EQ5's and I'm thinking of getting rid of one and stepping up to an HEQ5 (the non-goto version). Is it worth it or should I be looking at an EQ6 ?. I'm looking for something that is portable (not grab and go obviously but moveable) but will hold a 6 inch f8 refractor reasonably well (ie: better than the EQ5 does).

Can anyone help ?.

John,

North Somerset

The EQ6 isn't THAT much heavier than an HEQ5 but it does start to get to the point where it's not really portable. I'm happy with my little grab and go setup (when it turns up :laugh:)

I have another opinion about that. The EQ6 is a LOT heavier then the HEQ5. The head of the HEQ5 weights about 10 kg, that of an EQ6 about 17 kg. That is not quite the double but then again it ain't that far from it either, is it?

FWIW it think the HEQ5 is at the end of portability. One of my clubmembers has a EQ6, he also has some trouble with moving the mount around, it's really heavy and at some time, he really don't like to move it around

EQ6s arn't that heavy to set up IMHO, they are more of a pain to take down at 4am though....

For my 6" f8 frac, I prefer the scope on the EQ6, its rock solid and the eyepiece height is higher than with the HEQ5. On the HEQ5 the vibrations are much more evident, my 6" f5 refractor is the biggest of my scopes I use the HEQ5 for, anthing bigger and the "big lad" comes out.

If youre not happy with the scope on a EQ5 you may not be happy with it on a HQE5. Load-wise the HEQ5 is closer to the EQ5 than it is to the EQ6.

John, I owned an heq5 with a 6" F8 refractor and only got away with it by building a really substantial much taller wooden tripod for it. The standard tubular 1.5" tripod is a real useless bit of kit for a long refractor it's too flimsy and miles too short! Get an EQ6 they are still portable and make the difference between a pain in the neck and comfortable rock solid viewing positions.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks for all those views folks - plenty of food for thought and an interesting range of opinions. I think I'll try and take a close look (and feel !!) of both mounts before I make my choice.

John,

North Somerset

Lo John

I have an EQ5 undriven mount for grab and go at home and also an EQ6 Pro for when I go to the dark sky sites. The EQ5 doesn't in any way compare with the EQ6 for load carrying capacity and stability yet the EQ6 is still portable and easy to set up and take down. Honestly if You can afford an EQ6 it is worth getting the next step up in carrying capacity is the Losmandy Titan or the AP1200, check the price comparisons. :shock:

Archived