NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

FocusMax woes

daz

rather than hijack some else's thread, I'll start this...

So:

ED80 with an Orion Accufocuser, interfaced to a USB controller (FCUSB iirc), latest version of FocusMax, MaximDL5, SXVF-H9

I used the First Light Wizard as instructed, and at the end of it, FM managed to get an oversized blob on screen.

I deleted the MySystem record and started again - got the star in good focus using Maxim and FocusPal - ran the routine again and got a nice big blob on the screen again!

So, where do I start looking for problems?

Ta

Did you let it do the first light wizard, and then focus?

At the end of the FLW, it will be out of focus, but will then focus after a couple of seconds.

I don't know the Orion focuser.

I use robofocus, and the first thing you need to do is find the maximum travel so that the software knows where it is.

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob

Yes, I ran the FLW and yes, it paused when it completed and then it focused - to the big fuzzy blob.

Is there a setting somewhere that I tell FM what the focus travel looks like, or should it work this out?

Dave - :eek::evil6:

Hi Daz....I didn't realise it was you :eek::):evil6:

I've just had a look at focusmax, but can't see anything obvious that would cause your problem.

A few things to check....what is yout target FWHM?

How many V-Curve training runs have you done?

What is the step size you have set? This should be 50 to start with. After you have a few V-Curve runs done, drop it to 20 for greater resolution.

When you do the V-Curve run, at the bottom of the slope, is the star in focus...in other words, is there enough travel in the focuser to actually achieve focus?

Cheers

Rob

I love Bahtinov masks, but they don't do temperature compensation (FM/Robofocus does), and in several A/B comparisons I've run, I found focusmax, if correctly set up, to be just a hair more accurate.

Plus, I can sit in the warm and refocus the scope, even on very faint stars, which you can't do effectively with a mask as you need a certain brightness to see the spikes properly. This means that you don't need to slew off target to find a bright star...you can just select one that is already in your FOV and focus on that.

Cheers

Rob

Archived