Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Online astronomy/ robotic telescopes

spacetrace

Hello all, I would like to point you in the direction of www.onlineastronomysociety.org

I have joined the online astronomical society and this allows paying members to have access to several robotic telescopes. The telescopes are located in Italy and Australia so pretty much almost guaranteed to be functioning 24 hours a day. Although I agree that it is not quite like being outside in the field, I tell you what, for someone who is new to astrophotography I have found it an excellent way for me to become involved and practice my skills without spending an awful lot of money. Plus I am still trying to figure out how to navigate the skies and learn what is out there and what to see so it wouldnt be sensible to go and buy photo equipment until I have become a little more knowledgable. Regardless of that the robotic scopes are letting me see more and is keeping me occupied at all hours regardless of what the weather is like outside. I certainly like it and I still get a great feeling of knowing that I am controlling something the otherside of the globe whilst sitting at home and get very excited when objects come into view and I am really seeing them, there and then !!! Amazing... I love astronomy of all types.

If you dont own astro equipment, are unable to get out into the field for any purpose or the weather is Rubbish, you dont have a garden or your skies are just too poluted this is a nice alternative.

I agree the price seems steep but for the year it is only 2.50 quid a week and I have managed to start taking some good astro shots without having to fork out loads of money on equipment. I spend more per week on buying newspapers full of junk. So I quit the papers to peer over others shoulders (annoying I know) I was also thinking of others who cannot get out and would still like to have a go at astronomy. But thanks I will post more about the scopes and let you know how I get on :eek:

Here is my first image of orion nebula

post-18185-133877428366_thumb.jpg

The Bradford Robotic telescope is free to use if that's any help?

I've not managed quite as good results as Miss Space, but I'm still experimenting. Oh, and sometimes jobs can be queing for a while before they get round to them.

Cool, I have tried that one before but I never got decent results and I did wait two- three weeks for results only to find out it never turned out to be that good. These were instant and I could actually use the scope myself, I thought it would be good to share this with oters who are interested.

I agree the price seems steep but for the year it is only 2.50 quid a week and I have managed to start taking some good astro shots without having to fork out loads of money on equipment. I spend more per week on buying newspapers full of junk. So I quit the papers to peer over others shoulders (annoying I know) I was also thinking of others who cannot get out and would still like to have a go at astronomy. But thanks I will post more about the scopes and let you know how I get on :eek:

Here is my first image of orion nebula

[ATTACH]32856[/ATTACH]

It's a great cure for cabin fever during cloudy nights. Of course, observing write ups on SGL would be appreciated. :evil6:

It's a great cure for cabin fever during cloudy nights. Of course, observing write ups on SGL would be apprecited. :eek:

I usually blog on my website but would be more than happy to keep you guys informed about what I see using the scopes... including my own when I get to use it (darn weather and darn no back garden)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Just a heads up, its actually free to join the online astronomy society. For that you get the free newsletter, quarterly mag, and access to the telescopes.

The £150 a year Space Trace was referring to covers cost of using the telescopes, which for virtual on tap access to the facility as you want it (subject to availability) is a pretty good deal i think. That covers training and support. not to mention imaging.

There are also online meetings which are an experience in themselves :-)

All this said though, its only fair to advise that there is current downtime while the telescopes are relocated from their current location. This is to allow for easier maintance and limit downtime.

Archived