SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing Chair

Moonshane

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very impressed shane :) Looks well comfy with the padding. Clever how it's adjustable to any height. How is it on uneven surfaces? Better than the flimsy rubbish I have to make do with. Metaltex Komet Ironing Stool: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home

cheers mate

It's really sturdy but I intend to make a better one sometime.

you're right though, the cushion's very comfy! :)

it's better on an even surface but would be OK on anything pretty much if careful.

Only just noticed 6' 3" dam I bet you suffer with neck ache having to bend down to look through a finder ??

ahhhhh, the wonder and beauty of right angled finders - a must for all scopes but especially refractors. I never really bend down if I use the chair.

• 2 weeks later...

I just nicked one that mine was throwing out in yet another cushion cull (obviously replaced by more ahem, vital ones). these people that just buy things, change their mind and decide they want the newer better or bigger version or many more of the same thing that do broadly the same job make me sick. you'd never catch me doing that with my astro gear.....:)

seriously though, the benefits of a warm comfy bum cannot be overstated.

Moonshane is right about comfort seating. Nothings fun if your freezing, damp and uncomfortable. My chair isn't the best in the world but it's better than standing. I was lucky to pick up some super warm hiking boots from Lidl for £18.99 and an all in one padded/waterproof suit from Machinemart £40. The usual thermals, fingerless gloves and a flask of hot tea can make sitting in a dark field in the middle of nowhere just that little bit more comfortable and if I can find them DSO's a whole lot of fun too :eek:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I am 6' 3" and find it spot on. if I need to go higher than the highest setting then I can stand as I am on tip toes with the highest. I use dobs though and maybe with a large long frac on a high tripod I might need more height but even then.......

• 4 weeks later...

I made a tube steel one like Shane's but capable of going even higher. It has a nylon strap with quick release jamming device to prevent sudden bongo slides under gravity!

However, now for the tearful bit; nobody EVER used it and it now carries our mailbox on the driveway. Boo Hooo....

Olly

Archived