Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Couple of quick questions

Kain

Sorry about this guys, I just wondered if I could see any of these with my dob tonight.

M16

Stephan's Quintet

M76

NGC 6543

I'm getting a little fed up now with looking at the same objects.

Hopefully I can find these in the 26mm EP to start with (I find things in that EP, then up the power after)

Cheers

Kain

All of these should be pretty easily _seen_ in your 10" Dob. Kain. Finding them could be another story. I've always had trouble with M76 for some reason, but Stephen's Quintet was easy. Find Ngc 7331, move south. Ngc 6543, (The Cat's Eye Neb) is a planetery neb that's smaller than M76. Worth the effort in dark skies, along with Stephen's Quint. You'll need dark skies, though.

• 1 month later...

I have viewed Stephan's Quintet thru a 12" Newtonian but I doubt I could have found it without GOTO and it didn't show the individual galaxies. After saying that, the Sky wasn't good.

(Astroman observes from Arizona)

Youve got me thinking!

The limiting magnitude (visual) for a 10" aperture is 14.5

The galaxies that comprise Stephan's Quintet have magnitudes 14.8, 14.6, 14.4, 14 and 13.6 (lower numbers are brighter).

So, given ideal seeing conditions and location, the 10" ought to reveal (visually) three of the five galaxies - at least in theory.

Steve has a point-any time I mention observing very faint objects, it should be taken with a grain of salt. I do observe from dry, dark skies in Arizona. I do try to scale them to scopes in question. I said Kain could see Stephen's quintet in a 10" because I saw them through my C8 from Kitt Peak. I couldn't split Ngc 7318A and B, but I did get the jist. Having never observed from more humid conditions than Flagstaff, AZ, it's harder for me to estimate than I though, apparently. My apologies.

As for limiting magnitude, the LM of a C8 should be 13.5 or so. Using calibrated charts from the AAVSO, I've seen stars down to mag 14.6 from a dark site. Gaz is right about diffuse objects, too. 11th mag galaxies can be tricky in anything less than an 8", even from here. Good to great conditions and more aperture are obviously better.

Archived