SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My first lunar attempt with DSLR!

Astrosurf

I finally managed to take some pics with my Canon 40D last night! I'm so glad a friend (Solarman) lent me his connector for an eyepiece as I'd lost my T-ring for prime focus! I'd like sharper pics but there was some turbulence and my eyesight's not good enough to focus really sharply. I used a remote shutter release and that's as technical as it got!

Advice please!

Can anyone suggest good (and cheap!) stitching software so I can piece these pics together?!

Alexxx

post-14350-13387742809_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877428098_thumb.jpg

post-14350-133877428105_thumb.jpg

These are really good Alex, especially the first two.

My eyesight is not so good at picking out fine detail in my small view finder.

My technique is to get close to the focus point then with very small movements on the focuser, then travel through the focus point taking around 4/5 photo's.

Then it's a quick run upstairs to check on my PC screen at 100%.

I suppose I could tether my DSLR to the laptop to view the picture straight after to save the running up and down stairs.

Not very scientific but it works for me.

BTW what telescope have you used Alex.

Paul

Thanks guys!

I tend to go back and forth across the focus and hope for the best! It's a good idea to connect the camera up to the laptop. I'll try that next time. I've ordered an autofocusser so that will stop the image from shaking, I hope!

The scope is a Skywatcher Explorer 200p on an HEQ5 Pro mount. Solarman lent me an 18mm ep to fit his connector as I only have huge Hyperions!

Either use the camera in manual mode...

Or use exposure compensation...

The bright moon against a dark sky can confuse the metering especially if its in the default metering mode... which will evaluate the whole frame...

Whats the camera...?

I'll dig out the manual on-line and tell you which buttons to push...

Peter...

Well done Alex. A nice set of shots. The last looks a little over but it's good details. iMerge will work well on the image merging, you align by eye, and ICE in theory ought to do better, but I've had those oddities crop up in my lunar images with ICE before, but not with iMerge. Just zoom in to 1:1 to align.

Thanks guys!

It's a Canon 40D. I really ought to read the manual more fully but it's such a trial and a bore! I often try to work things out for myself. I use manual and other settings on my bridge but it's so much simpler of course!

Is this an OK site, or the site, for iMerge??

iMerge

Alexxx

Hi Alex,

As promised...

For the 40D if you have the manual look at pages 92 and 93...

You would want to select Partial or Spot metering that way the moon itself will be properly exposed...

Try that first then lets us have a look..

The 40D manual can be download from here...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Owners-Manuals/Canon-EOS-40D-Manual.pdf

I prefer the manuals in electronic format anyway easier to find the info you want..

Peter...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived