Which bright star?

Hello:

On the evening of February 15th, at about 2200 hours I went outside to observe the sky. I believe I saw Mars and Saturn, but am not sure which very bright star that I saw at the time. It was quite high and slightly to the west of due south.???

Thank you icon7.gif

At 22:00 Procyon, Pollox and Castor would have been due south.

Westwards lies Betelgeuse and Sirius, but Sirius would be lowish and I guess you know Betelgeuse.:evil6::D:D

Higher up and to the west would have been Capella in Auriga. So I am guessing on Capella.:eek::rolleyes:

If you mean which of Mars or Saturn did you see then it would have been Mars. But it would have been South and slightly to the East.

I bet Northern Saskatchewan is dark.

:)Thank you:

I did check Stellarium...looks like Capella it is!

The skies are quite dark here. When I get my 9.25 SCT out for observing or imaging, I have to set up beside the lake (lac la Ronge) for the lower horizon.

Of course we are quite 'bushed in' here! Looking forward to warmer weather to get my gear out there again!

Thanks for your help

Archived