Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy always helps

AstroTiger

You know, you never can tell when astronomy comes in handy as a hobby.

I was in an interview today for a nice position as a trainer. Not bad pay.

I was asked to give a presentation on something, i chose something astronomically related.

One of the interviewers was also an astronomer!

The others found it interesting too.

now i don't know if i got the job yet but let me tell you, it didn't harm mentioning the "A" word ;-)

sometimes its isn;t who you know, but what you know and who you end up knowing as a result which helps especially when a common interest exists.

See now who needs Golf!

Hey I feel the same. I am a car salesman and I am 100% honest with my customers but it makes no difference in this world as I get tard with the same brush.

But i always tell people my hobby of astronomy and it makes the world off difference with others alike. I also find that the older generation see I am not some young smartypants asthenosphere astronomy sterio type is quite the reverse. It has helped my gain trust (which I deserve anyway) from so many people

I love the A- word.

Hope you get the job Alastair.

I'm not sure it helps at parties, at least, my mrs sets the scene whenever we have people round "Dont let him show you his pictures!" and usually they dont.... I get my own back by deserting them all when its clear.

lol, thanks TJ.

As i see it with astronomy its like a free masonary in its own right.

you meet people from all walks of life, who might just be able to help you when you need it.

I was nearly made homeless several years ago as a result of a relationship break up. I was offered diggs by an amateur astronomer.

When that lease ran out, another one came to my aid.

Needed medical advise, which was provided by another amateur astronomer who also happened to be a GP

Also needed Legal advise, provided again by YET another amateur astronomer who happened to be a barrister for their day job.

When its not the help you need its the passion. For those doing their GCSE;s on here, if you write about astronomy for you're english essays, what the grades shoot up!

Even when it comes to interview as i discovered today. Mentioning the A word.

Now, true it might get you onto the subject of life in the universe, this is often the most common ground found.

But yes i agree when you say you have an interest in this, its a cut above footie and cars i think.

not that i am being a snob of course but experience seems to confirm this trend :-)

You know, you never can tell when astronomy comes in handy as a hobby.

I was in an interview today for a nice position as a trainer. Not bad pay.

I was asked to give a presentation on something, i chose something astronomically related.

One of the interviewers was also an astronomer!

The others found it interesting too.

now i don't know if i got the job yet but let me tell you, it didn't harm mentioning the "A" word ;-)

sometimes its isn;t who you know, but what you know and who you end up knowing as a result which helps especially when a common interest exists.

See now who needs Golf!

Good luck with the job

Archived