Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Martian Great Bog

Towa

Been getting some very nice views of Syrtis Major over the last few weeks, so drawings below show different aspects of its appearance as seen with the

6 inch refractor. What I have noticed, is how the larger scope is being much more affected by the seeing conditions. On most nights I've finished off having to step the aperture down to 114mm.

post-17619-13387742663_thumb.jpg

post-17619-133877426634_thumb.jpg

Many thanks D25

Yes, I'm using 20mm Antares plossl eyepieces in the binoviewers.

I've found that I can use the 20mm eyepieces for all my planetary observing. To increase magnifications, I use combinations of 2x Barlow and extension tubes.

Picture below shows them in the Towa scope giving a magnification of 60x in the combination shown. If I insert the Barlow then I get 210x, extension tubes take it up to 300x.

post-17619-133877426664_thumb.jpg

What a great set of drawings!

It's funny how we settle for what are low end eyepieces when binoviewing. I have a pair of Antares eyepieces in the binoviewers. My plan before it arrived was to swap them out pretty quickly but since using them i have no desire to do so.

It's funny how we settle for what are low end eyepieces when binoviewing. I have a pair of Antares eyepieces in the binoviewers. My plan before it arrived was to swap them out pretty quickly but since using them i have no desire to do so.

Thanks guys for the comments.

Russ- I borrowed a pair of much more expensive plossl eyepieces for my binoviewers and to be honest I could not see any difference,

but thats just me and my eyes. I have to say that I've found the Antares eyepieces to be superb in my binoviewers.

My only dilemma at the moment is whether to add a second set of Antares, around the 12-15mm. Which combined with the barlow element would give 300x-350x. The 19mm give 250x with the SCT and barlow element.

My eyes must be like you own. I've used more exotic glass and struggle to see the difference.

Russ

• 2 weeks later...

Archived