Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

2nd Hand Buying Advice please

Hi, recently a Super Polaris C8 has been put up for sale near to me, I was wondering what I should lookout for and consider when viewing?

I've never used anything more than my Newt & Refractor so what differences will there be and what might confuse me?

This is had to advise, but here goes.

I've owned 2 C8's. I would suggest check the scope all round for dings & dents. Pay close attention to the corrector plate, pick it up and tilt into the light to check for scratches. grab the scondary support and see if there is any movement.

Inspect the primary and look for marks / fungs (you will know if you can see this) what your looking for is blistering on the main mirror. This again depends on age. Unscrew the sct rear back and smell the tube.. sounds odd but you can also pick up a lot from how the scope has been stored.

This is some hints towards inspection.. apart from this, you will get a feel by the person on how the kit has been handled / maintained.

I'm very, very particular with my kit and treat it like a new born!.

Good luck.

Rob

Besides the above, check the smooth movement of the focuser knob.....

Does the deal include the SP mount?

If so check that everything is solid, minimum slop/ backlash on the worms and the slow motions feel regular and smooth....

Ken

Thanks guys, its at an auction. The viewing was today and I had a chance to look general things over.

Before the sale starts tomorrow I'll be able to get another look at it.

Yes it includes the mount/tripod & a few extras like a dew shield / 4 EPs / a focal reducer

Just wondered what you guys might think of in case I missed anything, as its at an auction I want to be able to make sure its not fubar'd

EDIT: well I had a limit of £200 that I could go up to, in the end it went for £250 at the hammer. Was a good buy for that price to the person who got it but I couldnt afford to stretch that far. I did get another look at it before the sale started and it was in good nick, just hope i'm lucky to see others another time.

Thanks for your advice & help folks ;) it was most handy & helpful

Archived