NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Chester newbie

Yossarian

Hey everyone, ive signed up here as ive just bought a an old Clarke 45x Scope (little more than a spotting scopre from what i understand) from a flea market for £5 (stand and carry bag included).

Im hoping that i can use this just for looking at the moon on clear nights, should this work alright?

Anyhowz, any tips or pointers on when/where/what time to get started for best views etc, would be greatly appreciated as i haven't the foggiest what im doing.

Peace

hello and welcome to the forum, id suggest spending only around £130 on a telescope from FLO at the top of the screen, to be honest it isnt that much but you wont regret buying 1 for around that price, and to be honest im still waiting for the moon to show because i brought myself a moon filter and i want to see the moon properly this time without blinding myself =] and i would like to no when we'l see the moon.

Hi and welcome to SGL, Yossarian. :) The Moon is a very cooperative target, so i'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of views with the scope. Is 45x the maximum magnification you can get, or is it the aperture (width in mm of the skyward-end of the scope)? Also, did you get any eyepieces?

Hi and welcome to SGL, Yossarian. :) The Moon is a very cooperative target, so i'm sure you'll be able to get plenty of views with the scope. Is 45x the maximum magnification you can get, or is it the aperture (width in mm of the skyward-end of the scope)? Also, did you get any eyepieces?

Hi!

Yes, it has a 50mm aperature on the scope, but for £5 i didn't even get a receipt, let alone any eyepieces! Im really only hoping that it will be able to 'get me started' on viewing a few things.

Hi Yossarian,

A very warm welcome to SGL, I believe your Clarke scope is a 50mm, 15 - 45x zoom, you should be able to point your scope heaven wards and see the craters on the Moon, with my old 40x spotting scope I could make out Jupiter's moons under good seeing conditions.

John.

Hi Yossarian,

A very warm welcome to SGL, I believe your Clarke scope is a 50mm, 15 - 45x zoom, you should be able to point your scope heaven wards and see the craters on the Moon, with my old 40x spotting scope I could make out Jupiter's moons under good seeing conditions.

John.

Really? That would be amazing if I could, so gonna have to get swatting up on where to find these things.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Archived