Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars Dust Storm.

Paul G. Abel

Last night as the Acidilium was coming onto the disk, I noticed a very bright marking/patch (on the limb) extending from Tempe up towards the edge of the NPC, I thought it was a cloud, because it was very bright. Could this have been the dust storm?

Paul,

If I get a clear sky, I will certainly try to observe and record this. Slowly falling in love with Mars, such an elusive but rewarding planet to study. :)

That's my feeling too. Mars doesn't have the instant wow factor of Saturn and the features aren't quite as obvious as they are on Jupiter, not to mention the disk is a lot smaller. But there's something more rewarding about observing Mars. Perhaps because it is a little harder to see those features, and the extra time/patience needed.

It's been a great opposition too despite the small apparent size. For me, far more enjoyable than the highly frustrating 2003 opposition.

Russ

i like mars because it's a bit like looking at earth, there are clouds, mists, polar caps, red seas and black continents, and it is different every time you look. it's kind of more tangible than a gas planet, and you can learn your way around it.

however my scope has nearly healed over with all the cloud lately!

Archived