Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meet up near Wolverhampton - 13th February

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi

I'm still up for a meeting to plan all of this and get to know other menbers

say at any pub in Wolverhampton.

We could go to many sites to check access and light pollution conditions as that does not need clear skies

Please PM me about time ,location etc - I can give a lift to someone without transport.

Steve

There is a good friendly pub called the Fox and Anchor in Coven right next to the 3 Hammers Golf course. Real ale, open fires nice and friendly. Ideal for a cloudy evening.

Stu

Hi , just a quick post to register I'm still interested, but can't make the 13th - sorry. Campsites sounds a great idea though. I've used UKcampsite before now and found this place:

Penlan Caravan Park , Hay On Wye Campsites, Herefordshire

Slightly elevated site. Wide open southern horizon. Hereford appears as an orange dome in the distance but didn't stop me seeing the western Veil though a 4" refractor ,no filter. One for when it gets a bit warmer maybe?

There is a good friendly pub called the Fox and Anchor in Coven right next to the 3 Hammers Golf course. Real ale, open fires nice and friendly. Ideal for a cloudy evening.

Stu

I know it, yes, good meals too - possiblility for a planning evening if it's cloudy Saturday?

Hi , just a quick post to register I'm still interested, but can't make the 13th - sorry. Campsites sounds a great idea though. I've used UKcampsite before now and found this place:

Penlan Caravan Park , Hay On Wye Campsites, Herefordshire

Slightly elevated site. Wide open southern horizon. Hereford appears as an orange dome in the distance but didn't stop me seeing the western Veil though a 4" refractor ,no filter. One for when it gets a bit warmer maybe?

Yes I'm happy with going a bit further. Julian found what looks like a good site the other side of Church Stretton too.

All we need now are clear skies.............

Hi all. It seems like there are a good couple of possibilities for this coming weekend then. I think the Hay on Wye is slightly off the beaten track as this is I think supposed to be a very local meet for people around the area of Telford and Wolverhampton. Steve_Bham's idea of the farm land might be good and would like to know if a tent or two might be pitched (as long as there are no cows/ I've HERD some bad stories of people camping with cows) ;). The idea being a warm room/shelter or crash/chill (not literally).

A couple more possibilities are:-

The Engine And Tender

Welcome to the Broadmeadow Holistic Centre & Campsite, Leebotwood, Shropshire

Or:-

Gretton Caravan site and

Sparchford Farm.

I hope these may also be of any use.

Regards

OK

Some good ideas there ;) We should know tomorrow if the farmer where Steve goes is happy for a group of us to go there. If so, then I suggest we make it there on Saturday, as there's not much time to sort things out now.

If it's cloudy, how many folk would like to have the suggested planning meet up at the pub?

Hi, great ideas from everyone, thanks everyone for all putting in so much time and effort into getting this meeting going. I hope that there will be clear skies!!! If skies are crappy I am still up for meeting at the pub ;). If its clear skies Ill bring the choccies and cakes to keep us topped up ;)

The trouble with campsites is you have to pay. Spoke to 2 sites today - Broadmeadow and Sparchford and both want about £5-6 per person for the night. Leccie maybe £2 per pitch but depending on how many want to go, total prices could be negotiable. Both sites seem OK but both have their own problems. Broadmeadow is not far off a main road(but shouldn't be too much of a problem) and Pound Inn pub with good food near. Sparchford is a little more basic still with leccie and pub 5mins drive away. This site maybe ok and more isolated. My choice of the 2 would be Broadmeadow. I would still like to have had a little more time to have looked at the other 2 sites.

Well thats about as much as I can do folks. I hope it helps in some way towards helping organise a small observing session this coming weekend and not over complicated the issue with suggesting campsites which i am happy to go with. To make any of it work though it is down to all you people who are up for the event and think a final feed back from yourselves would help secure an enjoyable evening whatever the weather.

A last reminder though is it could be rather chilly, so dress up warm, bring a blanket or sleeping bag if pos and a flask of hot coffee.

Clear Skies

OK

Ok, I've spoken to the farmer where Steve goes, and he's very happy for us to use his land. So I'll PM everyone who's said they're up for this weekend with the details of where it is. If there's anyone else who'd like to join us, drop me or Steve a PM ;)

If it's cloudy, I agree the Fox and Anchor sounds good, it's only just off the M54 so pretty convenient. It's here:

Brewood Road, Coven, Wolverhampton, West Midlands WV9 5BX

However, careful of looking on maps / satnav with that postcode; I tried and it puts you in the middle of Coven, which is wrong! It's dead easy to find; leave the M54 at j2, head north on the A449 towards Stafford, then after half a mile or so, turn right on the first roundabout, and the pub is on the left.

Does meeting at the farm or the pub at 6pm-ish sound ok? Suggest we either visit the forum Saturday afternoon to decide which, or exchange mobile numbers via PM ;)

I think that if we all met at the observing site for around 6 would be ideal. And then if the weather isnt promising we could move to the pub for a drink and chat. It would be good to meet some people around this area who share the same interest.

Praise Wulfrunian for starting this thread in the first place. ;)

Clear Skies

OK

Not a bad idea to meet at the farm anyway whatever the weather - we can all see what's what there, can't we. Hoping for better skies than tonight though else it's not worth packing the scope! Still, there's worse places to spend a Saturday evening than a pub serving various ales and good food......

Hope it all goes well, have fun. Wish i could have made it, but prior party is in the way. (its a drinking house party, i never miss them). Anyway don't laugh but i'm still waiting for my Omni xlt 120 from TelescopePlanet. (nobody has stock of this scope, i've tried) before I look at another sky.

I spent a lot of teen years in the Atchen area, don't know if its still the same but try Atchem Post Office and the Cross Keys Garage. They my not have land, but they know everyone and were friendly.

Miss You Already Tim x

Archived