Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

William Optics Zoom II 22.5-7.5mm 1.25"

hi all

I have a reasonable selection of eyepieces but seem to be forever changing them. I am considering getting the above zoom lens or possibly the Baader version. WO seem to make great kit but I fear that I'll be disappointed with a zoom lens of any kind. What do people reckon please? Advice from anyone who has the one in the header or the Baader will be gratefully received. I'll be using it with the Celestron 120mm refractor in the main but also possibly a f5 newt.

cheers!

Shane

The Baader Hyperion zoom is definitely better with a bigger FOV. The WO is still good though, so if you can get it at a really good price it's still worth considering.

I found that the Baader zoom was as good as the fixed f/l Hyperions from the 8mm to 20mm setting, but with a smaller FOV except at the 8mm setting. Bit of a soft image and small FOV from 20mm to 24mm though. Performance with the Baader was good down to f/5.

Most people are surprised that a zoom like the Baader can be that good.

John

cheers John

you are a gent as always. I will do some thinking and decide either way shortly.

one thing I do like about the baader is the 2" fitting which is included as I have a 2" diagonal (W/O dielectric), although I don't suppose it really makes a difference.

I use the refractor mainly for planets and double stars so FOV is not critical, it was more the quality of viewing image I was bothered about. do you think the zooms mentioned would be as good as the W/O SPL lenses (which I also like the look of and I not you sold a couple of recently). Decisions, decisions......

BTW someone had better sell a 12" Orion dob/OTA soon or the money I have from some sold books will burn a hole in my pocket!

thanks again

Shane

The WP SPLs do have better sharpness and contrast than the zooms or the regular Hyperions as well. Although only 55 degress FOV The SPLs are very similar to the WO UWANs or SkyWatcher Nirvanas in performance, and perhaps even a bit more contrast.

John

cheers John

I may in that case wait for used SPLs and just concentrate on a few lenses. I got carried away with the Paradigms which I may sell a few of to help fund the purchase of a couple of SPLs.

I think I have got to learn that nothing is ever straight forward and can now see why there is such regular 'churning' of gear on this forum!

The WO stuff does seem good quality and maybe the best of the cheaper end stuff before you go to £200-500 EPs (which I don't think I'll buy (but hey, who knows....you only live once)

I am hoping to get down to the Peak District at some point to see what a dark sky actually looks like (I live near Manchester) and may bump into you one day.

thanks again.

Shane

I had one of these.

Nice eyepiece, but I found orthos easily beat it for image quality at the high mag range and the low power setting wasn't really wide at all. For the price you could get a couple of high mag 'pieces and a low power/wide field one.

I sold mine eventually.

The Baader and the W.O. are now priced close and if I was going to go for one, it'd be the Baader.

That's only my opinion tho.

Cheers,

Andy.

Thanks Andy

I think both yourself and John have confirmed my original feelings about zooms. I'm waiting for a 12" Orion Dob to surface and reckon I'll hang onto my money for now based on what you have both said. I think I may try and team up with someone else to perhaps use a couple of good eyepieces in my scope to see what suits me best and go from there. I can then also compare them with what I have.

cheers!

Shane

thanks for your comments guys, really appreciated. As it happens, I bid £110 for the WO and missed it (total cost £117.50 inc posted). However, as luck would have it I have since found a televue 8-24mm click stop zoom for £130 delivered so bit the bullet and got that. It will be interesting to see if this is better than my current lenses (listed below) and the brand name should in theory also make it readily saleable if I don't get on with it for some reason.

cheers

Shane

Archived