NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The benefits of a chair

Chris H

I have just taken delivery of an observing chair and it is wonderful. Prior to the chair I would stand with my back bent over the dob eyepiece and try keep my eye in the correct position but after about 30 seconds I would start to wobble and as a result observing was not comfortable. But now with my astronomy chair I can adjust the seat to the perfect height settle down at the side of the scope, get comfy and study whatever is in the FOV. All of a sudden my eyepieces seem to have a larger field of view, the objects I'm looking at seem bigger, I can pick out more detail and astronomy is even more pleasurable. In my opinion a chair is not just for your back but for your eyes, if you don't have one get one it will make such a massive difference to observing.

You have picked up on what for me is one of the most important aspects of amateur astronomy

i.e. Comfort at the eyepiece. If you are not comfortable then you see less detail in the object under

observation. I find that if I have to stand then I see less planetary detail, compared to when I'm seated.

I tend to find that one minute standing is all I can take, before factors start to compromise the view.

Seated, I can spend hours at the eyepiece. Last year I bought my first pair of Binoviewers,

and boy what a difference they have made to my planetary viewing, again it comes down to comfort.

Be comfortable and you will see more, many thanks for posting.

I was using the "roustabouts chair" that I came across the other night, to view Aldebaran this evening. As Taurus was directly overhead this made it possible to actually study the constellation, rather than take a look, then move on. Unfortunately I can't seem to do anything about the (observation) corner of the rig from bouncing up and down, at a very annoying frequency.

Lidl regularly have in their "Special Offers" an ironing stool in strong tubular steel and which is adjustable for height. Price about £15. Ironing stools elsewhere are £30 to £50. Go to their website and register for weekly emails of the offers and sooner or later they will turn up. I think I got mine Springtime.

Kriss77,

Out of interest, what chair did you get in the end?

I looked into the chair you recommended from the US and it looked good but I decided to get something made from wood so I went for this chair from Berlebach

HYDRA observer's chair from Berlebach Tripods

I think it is a great chair, good construction and the seat can be adjusted by very small amounts to get your eye at the perfect height. It looks like it will last me many many years to come and I placed the order on a Tuesday morning and it arrived on the Thursday, excellent.

Thanks, yes nice and comfy with its padded seat its pretty compact to folds flat and the seat slides off so no probs transporting it along with the dob and all my paraphernalia. Good thing I has a pick-up would never fit this lot in my car.

Archived