Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

MINTRON PD2385-EX any good?

alfingido

Thought I might like to get myself a video cam for real time viewing of DSO's etc, I havent got the patience ( or cash ) for serious imaging so though this might be a good buy. I have heard good reports of the Watec cameras but cant find any dealers. Is the Mintron a good alternative?

I will be using it in my CPC925.

Allan

Cameras like Mintron 12V6HC-EX or Watec WAT-120N+ are cheap and could allow DS imaging in some way :) but they are also TV cameras so you need a USB frame grabber to record the video on the computer. It them or some second hand CCD - like Meade DSI 2 or 3 ;)

In UK look at Astro video cameras - Watec 120n - Mintron @ Modern Astronomy and EU on astroshop.eu or teleskop-express.de

• 2 weeks later...

I bought from Phil Dyer in UK and it came complete with an interface for USB. I can't comment on the astro-photography aspects as I am still playing around with it to get familiar.

From what I have seen, I am well impressed.

I have no connection with this company.

I bought from Phil Dyer in UK and it came complete with an interface for USB. I can't comment on the astro-photography aspects as I am still playing around with it to get familiar.

From what I have seen, I am well impressed.

I have no connection with this company.

Keep us posted how you get on with this, i would be interested to find out how it performs.

Allan

• 2 months later...

I picked up the Phil Dyer version as well last week. I went for the mono version with the full kit. USB video capture device, lens, etc included. So far I'm very impressed with it. Well built, compact and simple to use. The low light sensitivity is realy quite astonishing.

Not had a chance to give it a full 'in scope' trial but will report when I do.

I also picked up a cheap portable dvd player (maplins) with an AV input on it so I can view the images without the PC. Looks quite cool clamped to my flextube Dob.

M....

hi, I have the Mintron 12V6HC-EX and find it to be a very sensitive camera, I use it for guiding with a ST-80 scope and it never fails to find a star. Due to the small chip it may be best to have a short focal length scope to get a decent FOV.

Archived