NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best Trapezium view so far

alfingido

After spending an hour or so marvelling at Mars, I swung over to look at M42. Even with a supersize ( almost) full moon, M42 was stunning, first time I have seen the 2 extra stars in the Trapezium, even at low power, but the moon washed out a lot of the nubulosity.

I love my new CPC925!

Allan

Well I still cannot detect them. I used the 6" frac last night which is well collimated and had some great views of other doubles. Used several different EPs ranging from 150x to 300x but could not detect either E or F.

I know their position from the diagram that Mick (Doc) provided but still cannot see them. It looks clear again tonight so I will use the 10" and see what happens.

Mark

Well I still cannot detect them. I used the 6" frac last night which is well collimated and had some great views of other doubles. Used several different EPs ranging from 150x to 300x but could not detect either E or F.

I know their position from the diagram that Mick (Doc) provided but still cannot see them. It looks clear again tonight so I will use the 10" and see what happens.

Mark

They were defintely easier in Phil's 127Apo they were just there with no need for teasing them out. In a dob you have to be dead patient and eventually they do appear.

Maybe it's your eyes Mark as I saw them easier then Phil did. They are very very close as well.

Last night, I think I saw the Trapezium, but I'd like to check. I was definitely looking at M42 and could make out a large, sort of fan shaped, 'smudge', then 4 very distinct white stars in a small, irregular box shape.

I've observed M42 a few times before and the 'smudge' had a lot more detail but this is the first time I've really noticed the 4 stars standing out so obviously.

So, have I seen the Trapezium?

It's funny how you are outside gawping at the trapezium on any particular night and at the same instant there's several (or more) fellow enthusiasts out in the cold looking at the same thing at the same time. Some kind of cosmic signal drawing us out - a bit like on that film et!!! :-)

Yes Mick I think you might be right. Its my age! But I must be positive and have another go tonight. If I still can't resolve E and F perhaps I should get another observer to view through my scope and get their opinion.

mark

Give it a go in the 10" I've seen E & F with my 36 year old eyes in my 10" at x200, no sign of G & H though think I need a 20":D

Archived