NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Obsy build starts - sort of!

martin_h

Having persuaded Her Indoors(bribed with a Nintendo Wii fit and balance board) that I need an observatory and storage space I have permission to start the build - but the only practical place is at the end of the garden, unfortunatly that space is part occupied by a pond. So, move pond, level off ground(slopes in 2 directions), fill in old pond - concrete lined!!!!!! so break up bottom first.

So to date I have framed the new pond and am now digging it out (rain and clay dont mix!)

I did point out that instead of leaping about in the living room in the warm that it would be a good idea to get fit by helping me dig the pond but that fell on deaf ears - ho hum.

Will post some pics when Im a bit further on with the build. The obs will be 6ft x 12ft split in half for scope and warm room/storage

Why is it that as soon as you start digging a hole you find something buried? In this case its the footings of an old brick outhouse, complete with open sewer pipe! So having bashed through the concrete and capped off pipe - its started to snow! TYPICAL!!!:)

sounds like you could use the old remains as the sound footing. As soon as you mentioned filling in the pond I exopected settling for the next 10 years - not good for obbo footings. I found the same digging out a large and old compost heap.

Mike

Im not building the obs over the old pond, it is just in the way of the build- the obs comes right up to the edge of the pond, its a concrete lined pond so i will lower the top to ground level fill it and use the sides for bearers for deck supports the deck it over.

• 3 months later...

Archived