Celestron AstroMaster 130

Hello to everyone! This is my first post and I'm sorry if this has already been covered. I'm gearing up to make my first purchase and It's a Celestron AstroMaster 130. Is 200 dollars a fair price for a "new in box" and is it a decent scope to start with? My budget is 300 dollars but I found this AstroMaster for 200 dollars shipped and thought it was a good price. As far as I've seen there around 279 dollars. Thanks guys. Looking forward to learning a lot for everyone here! :)

Hi and welcome to SGL !

What other scopes have you considered ?

I assume you are US based ($ prices ?). For that sort of money there might be better options available. Let us know a bit about what your interests are and you may get some interesting alternatives to consider.

Thanks for the help! I haven't really considered others mostly because I can't seem to find much around me to compare. My interests are really just the basics. Looking at planets and maybe get a look a Andromeda although I realize that's not realistic in my price range. So any sugestions would be greatly appreciated!! I'm open to all of your sugestions! Thanks and I glad to be part of your community!

I think you'll soon tire of just planets and andromeda, there's a whole universe out there just waiting for YOU! Is the Astromaster a refactor or reflector? I'm guessing, at 130mm/$200 it'll be a reflector. With such a scope you'll be able to see plenty of nebulae, (in black and white, mind, for colours you need something that NASA might shoot into space) clusters and fuzzy looking objects, which are actually galaxies, far, far away. You'd also be able to get decent views of planets. Also, don't overlook the wonder of widefield observing, where you can view star fields, constellations and open clusters.

With a reasonable sized, well collimated reflector and a few good eyepieces, the sky, as they say, is the limit!

Welcome to the forum.

While the 130 is good scope if that is all the budget will allow, it's not a scope i would choose if the budget allowed for more. As you are in the US take a look at the Orion Telescopes & Binoculars website. It's an awesome website, total drool and wow factor, with some amazing scopes and great prices......for those in the US (sadly those great sale prices are not carried over to us in the UK). You could certainly be considering a 6" (150mm) dobsonian, either the XT6 Classic or the Starblast 6. They are comfortably within budget. Or for a smidge over budget there is the XT8 Classic, an 8" (200mm) dobsonian that would keep you happy for ages.

Here's a link to their website:

Orion Telescopes: Save on Telescopes & Binoculars! - Telescope.com

You can even have a monster 50" dob if you have $123,000.00 dollars to spare. :)

Russ

Thanks for all the helpful advice. I think I'm gonna go for the Orion SkyQuest XT8 Classic! It seems to be a good starting point. I would hate to buy a beginners scope and in a month or so wish I bought a higher quality one. But I guess this would be a beginners scope too? Can't wait to get started! Better late then never! Thanks again and I'll be looting this forum for some useful information to get me started!

Nah i dont think many people here would consider an 8" Dob a beginners scope. You are in "big boys toys" mode with that one. 6" and over is the required kit to make you sound as if you know what you are talking about. The rest of us who have scopes below 6" are just messing about. Mine is only 5.1" (yep the extra .1 really does make a difference). Take no notice of me though cuz i dont have the minimum requirements.

LOL.

Archived