Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Budget eyepieces for fast reflector

Already decided on the 32 mm Panaview for wide angle EP. The 32mm in my 150P should be the equivalent of the 38 mm in your 200P I hope. Now looking for something with higher mag to possibly replace the SW 10 mm super MA. Is the 10 mm MA really that bad that I should replace it with something better (~£50-100).

I am joining my local astro society, but the weather has been so bad obs sessions have been washed out.

Rik

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got to add, I bought an Explorer (Paradigm) 18mm EP for my SW 130P f/5 reflector a couple of weeks ago and it knocks the socks off the standard ones that came with the scope. Clear image nearly all the way to the edge of fov, wide field of view (60 degrees), nice crisp images and for £38, they can't be beaten for the price. Also Allan at sky's the limit is very good to deal with if you have any probs.

Got to add, I bought an Explorer (Paradigm) 18mm EP for my SW 130P f/5 reflector a couple of weeks ago and it knocks the socks off the standard ones that came with the scope. Clear image nearly all the way to the edge of fov, wide field of view (60 degrees), nice crisp images and for £38, they can't be beaten for the price. Also Allan at sky's the limit is very good to deal with if you have an probs.

Also purchased one of the 18mm "explorer" eyepieces and its alot brighter than the ones supplied with my scope. Plus alan really is a top guy to deal with:)

Any objections/ opinions to this?: Skywatcher Long Eye Relief LER Eyepiece 5mm

I've tried a couple of those Skywatcher LER eyepieces I was not impressed I'm afraid. Not the best Skywatcher product by a long way. The examples I used had poor light throughput, blurred field stops and rather narrow fields of view.

You would be better off with a standard plossl eyepiece I feel.

I'm not sure why you are trying for 400x :) - 250x - 300x is about the maximum useable 95% of the time in any scope because of the seeing conditions in the UK. I find 170x - 240x is my optimum high power range with my 10" newtonian.

I have a 200P and almost never go to even x200 - since I have owned it conditions have only been good enough maybe twice to use more than x200 and mostly I am down around x135

I have a 5mm Baader Hyperion and its ok(ish) but its been used a sum total of twice in over a year.

I think you'd be disappointed with high power views just because conditions are so seldom suitable to use massive magnification.

Archived