NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hi all

scubapics

Just starting to get into the astronomy bug after buying a Celestron Celestar Deluxe C8 in 1998 using it a couple of times and then storing it for 12 years!

I found at the time the scope and mount combination was way too wobbly. I bought a starlight xpress HX516 about the same time and got one or two images of Jupiter. Nothing special - was very hard with all the wobbling.

So now where am I? I bought an EQ6 mount last October. Pulled the C8 OTA off the fork mount and put it on the EQ6. One word - WOW! Huge difference in stability and usability. Combined with Stellarium and a netbook (Samsung N110 - 6 hours plus of battery life) plus EQASCOM the system is a dream to use.

I don't suppose anyone is interested in a buying a motorised heavy duty fork mount with deluxe wedge from a Celestron Celestar Deluxe C8? All in working order. Be a shame to throw it in the rubbish tip if anyone needs one for spares or to replace a broken unit.

I've dusted off my old HX516 parallel port CCD camera and managed to get it to work with AstroArt (demo version for now). The original drivers wouldn't work at all. Along with my Canon 10D and 5D that I acquired over the years I expect to take some reasonable photos without much more outlay.

Having said that I've just purchased a William Optics Megrez 72mm as a wide FOV scope for the larger deep sky objects and also to serve as a guidescope for the C8 along with a QHY5 - just delivered 10 mins ago and on my desk about to be opened!

Wish my wallet luck folks! With the advances over the last 10 years I can see I may pull Britain back from financial brink singled handedly!

Jim

Archived