Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

H-beta imaging targets ?

vincentnm

H beta filters are quite specific and are only good for a very limited range of objects...

Horsehead, Cocoon and California Nebulae for example....

I have tried mine visually on various things such as M1 and M42 and it darkens the background too much other omission lines are virtually gone and that pretty much destroy the levels of these objects, so would think it impossible to get any visual joy on objects such as these....

However I have played with this filter with the DFK and combining O3 I have had some pleasing results where the H beta filter does manage to pick up more of the extended structure... have found at present the best combination is the O3 and H Beta....however it does leave a blue/green image...using the H alpha filter has given me mixed results...and have been unsuccesful in combining this into any usable form..doesn't mean its impossible - probably just my incompetence.

Problem with the DFK having such a small FOV it would mean putting together a mosaic to truly see the benefits...on my to do list. However now got the Canon 1000D I am getting to grips with that and not sure if I can utilise the filters with the camera, without closing down to 1.25" with an adaptor and risk vignetting.

But aim to see what this filter can produce regarding imaging - would be good to see how you find this filter for imaging....

Chris

The Hb filter can be used to good effect on the Rosette Nebula, especially if you make it part of an Ha/OIII/Hb colour composite matching Ha to red, OIII to green and Hb to blue. This combination produces some nice subtle colouring in this object.

Archived