Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

help

i'm looking for a very cheap telescope for my 4 year old son. i've seen one in argos for £30 National Geographic Compact 50mm/180x Junior Telescope. would this be a good starter for him and would he be able to see much?

cheers

david

Hello David,

SkyWatcher Infinity 76P Childrens Telescope

I bought this for my 5 year old nephew for Christmas. It's had some positive reviews and represents better value for money than some similarly priced equipment IMO. My nephew has had great fun putting the stickers on the telescope while waiting for the weather to improve.

I couldn't find it on FLO's website so went to Harrisontelescopes instead. Like FLO's, their service was very good.

For a few more pounds you might consider this,

Reflectors - Skywatcher Heritage 76 Mini Dobsonian

This model allows for a range of eyepices to be used if your son's interest develops.

I would say though that I bought the infinity 76 for its fun looks and its reputation at its price point. If my nephew's appetite is whetted then who knows he may be in line for another present sometime.

regards

Badger

I would also agree with Badger.

The Argos one are not very good at all, the Skywatcher one is much more better made and will show alot more objects.

The mini dob will show good detail in the moon and be able to see Jupiter and Saturn very easy, just what a little 4 year old will want to see.

My 5 year old neice got the mini dob for Xmas (on my insitance that her parents buy a decent scope!) It's a little cracker! A gem of a scope and gives great views of the moon, Jupiter etc. A good way to start.

guys, just noticed that the infinity 76 that Badger linked to is not the minidob that I (and I think we all) thought it was. the minidob is here -

Reflectors

it is a bit pricier but it's a lot better because the infinity is much harder to "aim" (you knid of move it around in the "bowl" that it sits in. I guess the optics are the same but I think in the infinity you only get one e/p.

sorry if I've confused everyone.

guys, just noticed that the infinity 76 that Badger linked to is not the minidob that I (and I think we all) thought it was. the minidob is here -

Reflectors

it is a bit pricier but it's a lot better because the infinity is much harder to "aim" (you knid of move it around in the "bowl" that it sits in. I guess the optics are the same but I think in the infinity you only get one e/p.

sorry if I've confused everyone.

I wasnt confused then i was and now i am not confused again.

Yes the SW Heritage 76mm mini Dob is the better choice. Thats the one i meant in MY other comment. I know the Infinity looks like a toy and thats good for a 5 yr old but for £10 more the Heritage is a real proper little starting scope for anyone....especially a kid.

i've had a look on ebay but just dont understant what i'm looking for. i think the wife would kill me if i spent best part of £50 on a toy (her words) i looked on here for second hand one but like ebay i dont no what i'm looking at.

david

tbh as a first time buyer I wd never buy a second hand scope off ebay (or anywhere else for that matter) and a 5 year old won't be able to set up an 80mm refractor on an alz-az mount.

the heritage 76mm minidob recommended by badger is definitely the easiest thing for a child to use and small enough for a 5 year old to carry (i know, I have two 5 year olds and that scope...).

it's not fair to call it a "toy" - it is a proper (albeit small) telescope and will beat the mants off anything you buy from Argos.

Archived