NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Kiddies scope suggestion

Hi all,

I need to replace my Tasco 80mm f5 refractor before the kids realise I've sold off their scope.

Don't want to replace it with another short tube refractor as they have no interest in widefield views of the stars. They just want the moon and planets. I'm pretty constrained as to what i can buy. Limited by what the Celestron Nexstar GT mount can carry (3Kg) and by £70-80 budget. The scope also needs to be compact really.

Currently my top contender is the Skymax 80 for £61 from TS in Germany. Sounds perfect for the job. Although I would have preferred the Skymax 90 but the 80 only weighs 1.1Kg, so the Nexstar will love it.

Originally wanted to buy a William Optics Zenithstar 66, that way it would be a dual scope for me (hehe) and the kids but budget won't allow.

Any suggestions most welcome.

Regards

Russ

Thanks Gordon. I'll pop back onto Ebay and see what's going.

Still wanted the views to be half decent for them. The Tasco was good on the widefield stuff but the planets not too good. I suppose an 70-80mm f10 refractor should be good. The Skymax 80 got a nice little review in Sky@Night mag which caught my eye.

How about an ETX90 ota...wonder how much one of those go for?

Russ

He's sold it Gordon. Plus it may have been just a bit too much for the GT. I think the Baader website says the Skymax 102 is the max.

Steve's suggestion of the ETX 90 could be a winner at £100. Although a little over budget for the kids. Pretty much a straight fight between the Skymax and ETX.

Russ

Archived