Hi to all

glenner75

Hi to all! im Glenn and im from Telford,Shropshire,im a newb to all this but the heavens have always fascinated me,so im now ready to view the night skys in all its beauty,but then it suddenly hit home of where to start in this massive and complex past time,and then i came accross SGL and found what i was looking for with all the knowledge and experience one could ever want to find.

So ive been looking around and trying to decide on my first scope and after a few headaches and changing my mind(god knows how many times lol) i think im going to go with the C8-NGT,as i feel it would be a good place to start, as then if i wanted to go down the imaging route ive sort of got a decent place to start one hopes lol

i'd be interested in your views as to what you would sugest,

thanks Glenn

You will have a lot of fun with a scope like that. I have an 12 year old GP-C8, which also sports an equatorial mount, but no computer control (which was out of the question back then). The optical design is very different: mine is a Schmidt Cassegrain, whereas your choice is a Newtonian. The latter is bulkier, but cheaper, and has a smaller central obstruction, which allows a bit more light in, and can produce slightly sharper images on the optical axis. I have had a lot of fun with my GP-C8, and 8" is a massive aperture to start with. There are some similar scopes from e.g. Vixen, but Celestron is generally reliable.

If you can afford it, go for it

Wishing you clear skies,

Michael

You will have a lot of fun with a scope like that. I have an 12 year old GP-C8, which also sports an equatorial mount, but no computer control (which was out of the question back then). The optical design is very different: mine is a Schmidt Cassegrain, whereas your choice is a Newtonian. The latter is bulkier, but cheaper, and has a smaller central obstruction, which allows a bit more light in, and can produce slightly sharper images on the optical axis. I have had a lot of fun with my GP-C8, and 8" is a massive aperture to start with. There are some similar scopes from e.g. Vixen, but Celestron is generally reliable.

If you can afford it, go for it

Wishing you clear skies,

Michael

Hi micheal

Thank you for that

Glenn

Few of us have of late - when you buy a scope some clouds come free in the box but sadly patience is an expensive upgrade :)

Anyway - hi from me too :eek:

Hi Astro_Baby and thanks for the welcome,we can only wait and see what nature brings.

thanks Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Archived