Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone from around the Sheffield area?

I was out there a few nights ago. The carpark was 'occupied'...! I went further up the road to the carpark at the old Roman road.

Amazing, even though it's half way between Sheffield and Manchester, and about the darkest you can get round here, the light coloured carpark gravel was bathed in orange... :)

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi

Fulwood Lane can be very good, which is turning right just after the Norfolk Arms at ringinglow and going for a couple of miles is good as well. Very few cars to spoil the night vision. There are a couple of laybys to pull into and just nip over the gates on public footpaths.

Enjoy

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Got some great views last night of Jupiter from my back garden, though it's been that long since used my scope I couldn't get an alignment fix !. Can someone remind me if we are still on day light saving, or should I use universal +1 or what. Got really miffed last night. I have a NexStar 4SE.

Thanks

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

I'm from Sheffield too and was wondering where people went. I think I know which car park this is but is it open at night?

I've also seen Mam Tor near Castleton listed somewhere as being a good dark sky spot. It's a lot further than Stanage. Anyone know if it's worth making the trek out that far?

As for meeting up I'd be up for it in principle though my current situation as a carer means I can't make solid plans and can only get out occasionally. If I knew others were going I might some nights be able to tag along.

Is there no email list to organize such local trips? Would it be worth setting one up?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm from Sheffield too and was wondering where people went. I think I know which car park this is but is it open at night?

I've also seen Mam Tor near Castleton listed somewhere as being a good dark sky spot. It's a lot further than Stanage. Anyone know if it's worth making the trek out that far?

As for meeting up I'd be up for it in principle though my current situation as a carer means I can't make solid plans and can only get out occasionally. If I knew others were going I might some nights be able to tag along.

Is there no email list to organize such local trips? Would it be worth setting one up?

Well the weather has been absolutely pants for the last few weeks, it's not been fit for going out. Having said that it will be a while before I can get out.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi guys

Is it worth setting up a facebook group for arranging meets?

No need to as it can be done via this forum.

All you have to do is have a thread for Sheffield meets or some such and make sure everyone interested is subscribed to it. Then whenever anyone posts to that particular thread we'd all get an email notification of the new post.

Or try WPAOG - only 30 miles from Sheffield.

Web site looks good but 'only 30 miles' !! That's a 60 mile round trip which seems somewhat excessive - at least on a regular basis. I can get out to the peak district in just 10 mins from where I live. (Though I'm finding it hard to get out at all the moment.)

• 2 months later...
I went to a Sheffield AS meeting once. For me it was geared far too much towards beginners, but if you are new to astronomy they could be very entertaining.

Having attended a few of their meetings, I can only agree with Mr. Spock. There is definately an over emphasis on trying to woo beginners to their ranks.

There's nothing wrong with this per se, but they need to look at accomodating more seasoned astronomers, as well. :D

Regarding SAS, one meeting a month is a Beginner's Evening, the rest have quite advanced talks from scientists. Also most senior members welcome if you want to discuss something advanced for example to bring astrophoto samples for further processing.

So I think the balance is there. If not, just tell them there need to be a specific Seasoned Evening perhaps!

Archived