SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Anyone from around the Sheffield area?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry We can only do saturday evenings or bank holidays with M Working

the main problem is finding somewhere away from the lights,and youths surfing

the streets in cars,looking for trouble.

we really need a farmers field but near enough where we can all get to easy.

or some car layby off the beaten track.

you are all very welcome to come to mine

as Patrick and J.J Will tell you I have plenty of viewing space in the garden

with red lights.and seats.and it's all paved.

we just need to pick a night when its not cloudy/raining.

We don't mind if you decide not come if the sky isan't clear

just let me know, I know its pointless if theres nothing to see.

then we can cancel and make it say the saturday after.

if you want to move this chat over to south yorkshire stargazers group

I will start a thread off in there

Chez

• 5 months later...

Hi, I'm in Sheffield also. Have you guys ever arranged meet? Do you have any more planned, if so is there room for one more?! I own my own scope just don't like being outside at night alone and company is always better :))

Jessica

Hi Jessica,

I'm just up the M1 from you in Barnsley.

I go to the Mexborough and Swinton A.S. (only just started going - they seem really welcoming).

There is a Sheffield Astronomy Society that meets to the West of Sheffield.

Which ever is more convenient for you I guess.

Hi, I'm in Sheffield also. Have you guys ever arranged meet? Do you have any more planned, if so is there room for one more?! I own my own scope just don't like being outside at night alone and company is always better :))

Jessica

Hi Jessica.I live in Sheffield.Im also new on here too.I dont own a scope yet but i will be getting one soon:D.I dont know if these guys still meet or if they ever have.Maybe we need to contact the other local guys to find out then take it from there!:)

Well Well Well, Another Sheffielder here, Wincobank to be more precise. I have been to SAS. on a few occasions. I found it interesting enough but they tend to meet when I can't. But I am going to try and get up there on the 17 Sep. I would like to have some hands on experience with other beginners out in the field so to speak. So I will keep an eye on this thread. There is a guy in Sweden who lives in a light polluted city just like us, so he and his mates go out in the countryside away from the lights to have a session observing. I think it's a very good idea. He has a very interesting web site called "Road astronomy" So if you google it you should find it.

Well Well Well, Another Sheffielder here, Wincobank to be more precise. I have been to SAS. on a few occasions. I found it interesting enough but they tend to meet when I can't. But I am going to try and get up there on the 17 Sep. I would like to have some hands on experience with other beginners out in the field so to speak. So I will keep an eye on this thread. There is a guy in Sweden who lives in a light polluted city just like us, so he and his mates go out in the countryside away from the lights to have a session observing. I think it's a very good idea. He has a very interesting web site called "Road astronomy" So if you google it you should find it.
Hi sheffielder,im new on here too and i live at shiregreen,not far from you.Im a complete novice but want to learn with likeminded people.Mark.:)

:)

Hi sheffielder,im new on here too and i live at shiregreen,not far from you.Im a complete novice but want to learn with likeminded people.Mark.:)

Nice to hear from you Mark, My name is Colin. I am sure something can be arranged as to a meet with some others on this site.

Hi Colin,good to speak to you.As yet i dont even own a scope yet:( but i joined this site to find out information about astronomy and scopes before i shell out loads of cash.Everybody has been so friendly and helpful on here:).Im thinking of buying a dob soon so i can get started.Im not sure if the other guys meet up but we could find out:D

I own my own scope just don't like being outside at night alone and company is always better :))

Jessica

My sentiments exactly, as for finding a suitable location that suits a number of people there is not a lot of choice in Sheffield. I am going to have a look at Wincobank hill as soon as I can, I have had a look in daylight and is seems to me to be ok. I think the trees will block most of the light pollution, but the best thing to do would be to have a look on a clear night, just to see if it is suitable.

Will post my findings on here just as soon as I can.

Colin.... icon14.gif

Safety in numbers!! Just don't fancy being mugged of my scope. Insured still don't fancy being mugged!!! Would we be ok in a park at night??!! (said I was a scaredy !!!!)

I've been to SAS a few times I just would like to be a little more pro active than listening to talks. Talks are ok, I just want to use my own equipment.

Thinking of trying an eve at Mexborough also.

Tomorrow's event at Mayfield is more than talks (subject to weather co-operation)! Mike will be outside observing as will I. There will be talks indoors as well if the weather doesn't hold up, but it looks reasonable right now.

I'll be bringing the Dob along too ...

I was up at the Mayfield centre last night, a good night it was despite having to put up with a few clouds although they defeated us in the end. I got some very good views of Jupiter, and the Ring nebula (M57) I wanted to have a look at the Andromeda galaxy but it was difficult to find in the finder scope, I found it with the bin's no problem, but as I said no chance with the finder scope. Also saw a shooting star, I think there was only One other person who saw it. Then along came a couple of iridium flares (I think thats what they call them) also a few satellites. All in all a very good evening, with a good turn out.icon14.gif

Wincobank hill? Concorde? They are all in the city, LP is terrible! I'm out in Stannington and Sheffield lights the sky up from here.

I can see the milky way easily from the back garden when the sky is clear and not so orange. My small patio isn't big enough to host a meeting though.

Wincobank hill? Concorde? They are all in the city, LP is terrible! I'm out in Stannington and Sheffield lights the sky up from here.

I can see the milky way easily from the back garden when the sky is clear and not so orange. My small patio isn't big enough to host a meeting though.

Can you think of a spot out stannington way? a fri or sat night would be better for me.

I was also at Mayfield Sat night. Got amazing Jupiter views through several massive scopes, the largest a 12" Dob.

Double Cluster, M15, and of course the Moon.

Will be there again next month!

I was the guy with the Six inch refractor, it's a lovely scope but the down side is it's a bit skitty in the wind with it being so exposed on the mount.

Archived