Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mars 6 January 2010

Brinders

Hi,

Mars captured last night at about 10:53. Captured using K3CCD Tools at f20 using a Celeston Neximage, Skywatcher 2x ED barlow attached to a Celeston CPC925GPS . Approx 500 of 800 frames at 15fps stacked in Registax and post processed in PaintShop Pro X.

I know its not the best image on this forum, but hey, its mine and a big improvement on the small orange blob I captured and posted on October 17!

Brinders

Mars.bmp

post-13640-13387741881_thumb.jpg

Looks a bit under exposed, but otherwise some good detail visible

Hi Clayton,

I looked at the post on my machine at work and I admit I could barely see the image and yet it looks fine on the netbook I am using at the moment. Anyway, I have increased the brightness and contrast and hopefully it looks better now.

I guess it's a case of how each screen is set up.

Cheers,

Brinders

post-13640-133877418942_thumb.jpg

Mars.bmp

Can you post or PM an original prior to adjusting any brightness contrast etc., as although the planet looks better, the sky is now washed out (IMHO). I looked at the histogram of the first post and there is clipping at both ends. I am only guessing, but I think this may have occured in PP. At the risk of telling you something you may already be aware of it is important to know where the clipping is happening so as to be able to correct it (which is fairly simple in whichever case). :) Apologies for being so up front. It's only because I feel strongly that your rather good image may fairly simply be further improved.

Can you post or PM an original prior to adjusting any brightness contrast etc., as although the planet looks better, the sky is now washed out (IMHO). I looked at the histogram of the first post and there is clipping at both ends. I am only guessing, but I think this may have occured in PP. At the risk of telling you something you may already be aware of it is important to know where the clipping is happening so as to be able to correct it (which is fairly simple in whichever case). :) Apologies for being so up front. It's only because I feel strongly that your rather good image may fairly simply be further improved.

Hi Clayton, sorry but I have deleted the original. I'll have anther go at Mars soon and perhaps getter better results as it nears opposition.

Thanks anyway.

Brinders

Hi Brinders, a good start, you have the basics right. I think you need more focal length, have you tried a barlow lens? It really helps.

regards

Peter

Hi Peter, I did use my Skywatcher 2x ED barlow to give an effective focal lenght of 4750mm. I also tried adding a TAL 2X barlow, but then I lost all definition resulting in a fuzzy orange blob!

As Mars comes to opposition at the end of this month the angular size will increase and so I may getter a larger image then. But even so, I believe that at this oppostion Mars will not be as close as in the recent past.

Brinders

Hello Brinders - Mars is really tough, but your image has some good detail considering it was the quite side you caught.

Cheers, David. I'll give Mars another go later this month.

Brinders

Hi Brinders, at risk of sounding patronizing, which is not my intent, wondering if your interested in my veiws. First im sure you didnt get the C9.25 only to skimp on the finer things to get the results both you and your scope are certainly capable of.

The C9, 25 is a very poweful scope, so heres what i think, not sure if you want to refine these things or not, but in my opinion as stated why spend money on a great scope like you have, just to falter at the finish line.

The neximage camera as far as im aware is certainly not the top notch camera it was cracked up to be when first released, i know of many that feel a bog standard spc 900 nc colour is a better choice even though they employ the same chips. I think the electronics must leave a lot to be desired for this to be happening, though its a guess, i have no experiance in using one. Its just what i hear and see.

I think for a scope as good as yours, a DBK 21 is the least you should be aiming for, if you want to see what your scope can do.

So if you can get a better planetary camera im sure things will start to improve.

Heres what i would do, first get a DBK,

make sure your scope is cooled for at least 3 hours prior to filming. roughly polar align on polaris, ( rough should do ) make sure your collimation is VERY GOOD, spend a night or two just getting that checked and sorted.

Peter was right you need more focal length aim to be at f30, though if your experianced often f20 can do very well, none the less F30 is not by any means over powering. If your finding it is, then theres a problem, either your location ( and or seeing ) is very bad. or the other points ive just raised, are affecting your imaging.

Capture for 6 mins minimum, you need all the frames you can get. If and when you get a better camera many on here can advise settings, like 30 frames per second ( Peter just did 60 fps with good results ) though i never have. I suspect it works better at f20 ? Exposure at least 1/30th secs if not 1/50th or faster, ( Clayton i know your a speed freak :) ) it helps beat seeing, ask Clayton.

Gain ect. you want the signal strong but not over burned, just back from over burned is optimal, ( but def no burnout ) focus slowly and get it untill it still looks just a little blurry on the edge ( so your sure its still just out of focus ) then another move back with the focuser will see it get sharper, often i find ( if the moves are small and slow ) that maybe another little move will sharpen it again. If it does your most likely close to good focus. Standing a few feet from the screen can often make this easier to see.

A x 2 k3 stack on mars can do wonders. reduce it somewhat after stacking, try deconvolution on image analyzer ( motion blur ) and circular blur work well. the GIMPS unsharp mask is also good. ( BOTH FREE SOFTWARE ) if your settings at capture are correct, you will most likely want to drop the levels i find, again on image analyzer, under the exposure button ( colour mapper ) dropping blacks a little can help. its a fine art both capture and processing, and really i know very little. But over the years by pushing buttons to see what would happen, i let my eyes judge if it was a improvement or not. training your eye really is the most natural way i think, to get what you want.

I hope others on here chip in too, as its a humble man that says what you do. but i think in time, you could be doing so well, youll look back and think Man look how far ive improved. and if that happens, it will be worth while, you will enjoy your astronomy more, it will be more excting brinders trust me. Your scope is already good enough. but these fine things need working on. good luck and i hope you dont mind me trying to help. Just hope i am.

Thanks Neil for the advice which is all very constructive and helpful.

I have my eye on a DFK21, but I don't think the misses would be too keen on me going to that expediture for the moment having spent a small fortune on astronomy kit over the last two years, but I think that will be my next large investment.

Brinders

Archived