Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to cool down a refractor quicker

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before, or if indeed its is a good idea, but i came up with a simple idea to help cool my refractor down a lot quicker.

Simple....point the scope at the floor on its mount and take out the eye piece!...hot air rises out, cold air goes in!:hello2:

Im not sure if this has been mentioned before, or if indeed its is a good idea, but i came up with a simple idea to help cool my refractor down a lot quicker.

Simple....point the scope at the floor on its mount and take out the eye piece!...hot air rises out, cold air goes in!:hello2:

Actually I have done this for over 30 years without problem :)

make a little open hat from an old tube plug or film can with a conical top like a chimney cowl...

that would still allow air out and keep other things away..

my understanding re. refractors has been.. that unless it is a big one , ie 100mm plus then cooling is not a major issue and generally acomplished to a satisfactory degree in the time it takes to set up.

Steve

make a little open hat from an old tube plug or film can with a conical top like a chimney cowl...

that would still allow air out and keep other things away..

my understanding re. refractors has been.. that unless it is a big one , ie 100mm plus then cooling is not a major issue and generally acomplished to a satisfactory degree in the time it takes to set up.

Steve

True. I have a 90mm refractor and have never had to cool it down. Its ready to go as soon as setup.

I keep my two 'fracs in the attic in their hardcases next to the hatch. The attic is well insulated so it's always cold at this time of year. The summer is another matter though, then I keep them in the spare bedroom. TBH, I don't think it makes much difference with small 'fracs as the glass mass is fairly minimal.

Archived