Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

celestron 6 se upgrades

hey guys hope everyones enjoying the holidays, i just recieved my celestron 6 se and i gotta say i love it for my firrst scope. i feel like i made the right decision. so far for accessories i have a power tank and a celestron eyepiece and filter briefcase. i also have a dew shield. i was hoping i could get some advice of current celestron se owners as to what upgrades i shouuld do first and which are most important. ive read in forums that these arent great telescopes for astrophotography but im interested in getting some type of cheap camera to get some shots of what i capture. some advice for the camera decision would be great. thank you guys for the help.

Use my Nixon D40, and got great images of the moon, also Jupiter looks cool with the moons all showing.

Use a neximage for closer shots of the Planets, I got ok shots of Jupiter showing some clouds.

Using a Meade LPI for tracking.

If your tripod has got a wedge your in luck, but if not try and get a wedge for it, you can always use the wedge afterwards for a bigger scope. This allows you to take slightly longer exposures with a DSLR camera (30secs-45secs) and then stack them with software. Wedge new is £200+, but if your lucky get one on here for £60!!!! I was lucky. Or if your good with wood make your own.

Cheapest DSLR option is a 2nd hand, ebay cannon 350d (£150-£200) or if you want live view 1000d,450d (£300-£450).

Webcam option (for planets) I would go for the neximage ebay new(about £65-£80) software is very user friendly and it is very good.

si

First I'd be looking at eyepieces (it isn't clear whether you have the eyepiece kit with the case or just the case).

You're going to be limited to planetary with the 6SE as it is. A cheapish planetary cam for that would get you started. Be careful, you really need a CCD sensor and these are more expensive and typically only available second hand. You could get a Celestron NexImage - essentially a webcam by Celestron.

To do DSOs, you'll find the mount on a wedge will probably become quickly frustrating as you'll be combating the sturdiness of the mount (nice and light, but nowhere near a CG5 - I used to own both) which will cause you problems with star sharpness. You'll also need a f6.3 focal reducer, otherwise exposure times will be very long. TBH, if you're interested in DSO astrophotography, you're betteroff with a German Equatorial Mount and a refractor. That seems to be the place most people (including me) start....

TBH, if you're interested in DSO astrophotography, you're betteroff with a German Equatorial Mount and a refractor. That seems to be the place most people (including me) start....

Loads of money though, that's why I putting mine on a concrete pier in a garden observatory and trying to stick with it.:hello2:

si

okay sounds good, yeah so far i have 4mm, 6mm, 9mm, 15mm ,25mm, and 32. and the 2x barlow and some filters. can you guys explain real quick what the wedge does? and where you place it. t6hanks guys i appreciate it. im gonna have to get that 6.3 focal reducer

Archived