NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

are these EP's good?

I have a 26mm and 40mm and did have a 10mm. I find them very good, well made and give nice crisp views.

They are a very good price, I dont think you will get much better without spending an awful lot more

Allan

I had a 32mm and it was my favourite ep, got used so much decided to upgrade it to a meade 4000 which is much better [but costs twice as much]

Watch out for 40mm - not sure on this make, but some have a narrower fov and so you don't gain a lot in what you actually see compared to the 32mm

I believe that the 40 mm will only offer slightly wider FoV then the 32.

The limiting factor is the eyepiece tube and for a 40mm you only get a little more then the 32mm. Basically you do not get the increase that you expect.

If I recall stellarium has the ability to draw a circle for the EP FoV and a 40 is very similar to a 32. So if the 40 happens to cost more it may not be worthwhile.

They are perfectly fine eyepieces. See above re. the 40mm. Also note, the 6.3mm is going to have an eye relief of about the same magnitude as the focal length. Can you get your eye that close to the eye lens... Depends on a number of factors, but perhaps good to be aware of that.

They are not bad at all and good for the price. They don't compare with premium EPs at £300 a throw but you would hardly expect that. But I agree with the others that the limit in terms of FOV in a 1.25 inch EP is reached around 32mm so no point in going for 40mm in my view.

Olly

thanks for the advice, very helpful, i'll get the 32 then!

but i'm not sure what you mean about the 6.3mm and "can I get my eye that close to the lense" :S i've never read about a problem like this.

I was planning on getting the 6.3mm and the skywatcher deluxe ed barlow so I could get bigger views of planets and such

but i'm not sure what you mean about the 6.3mm and "can I get my eye that close to the lense" :S i've never read about a problem like this.

I was planning on getting the 6.3mm and the skywatcher deluxe ed barlow so I could get bigger views of planets and such

Short focal length plossl eyepieces have what is known as short eye relief, which means that you need to get your eye very close to the top lens of the eyepiece to see the field of view properly. This bothers some people more than others. It makes life very difficult for those that have to wear glasses when observing for example.

The 6.3mm eyepiece on it's own will give you 190x with your scope which is a very useable magnification for lunar and planetary observing. With a 2x barlow lens though it will give 380x which is too much power on all but the very, very best nights so you will rarely be able to use it.

Archived