Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

upgrade or new

Hello,

ive been thinking for weeks now.

My losmandy G-11 isn't the best around, i got alot of problems with the worm wheels.(the mount is 2 years old now )

What i miss versus my previous meade LX ,is goto, i live in very very light polluted area, and i don't have much time to image because of my work.

so i was thinking about goto again, but the gemini upgrade will cost around 2000 euro's and then i still would like to buy a worm wheel upgrade.

so lets say i need to invest another 2500/3000 euro's to get the G-11 a bit better as now.

a friend of my has an ASA DMM 85, and he was very pleased with it ( ive visited him 2 weeks ago )

so the ddm 85 cost around 13.000 euros now, its more money, but i am nearing it, and waiting for ATT in essen 2010.

so are there people that have any idea if the investment in Gemini for the losmandy would be worth the money, or just grab deeper in my pockets for something else. ( it will be used on a pier )

and will last for years

Kindly Regards, Erwin Kats

p.s. yesterday i had a PE of around 15seconds !

so there need to be alot of changes.

Erwin, if you think you can afford an ASA mount, I say go for it. Unless you or your family will suffer as a result of you buying it, why not treat yourself to what is arguably the best mount currently available to amateur astronomers today? Even if you hideously abuse it, a DDM85 will almost certainly still outlast you.

One thing I notice is that there seems to be a lot of chatter about the ASA mounts these days, and no wonder when you look at both the technology involved and the results. Until a few days ago I was barely even aware of the existence of ASA and/or their product, but now I have to say I'm paying very close attention.

And pricelessly, over on CN, the Yanks are getting quite annoyed by it all, because the DDM85 costs more than a PME or AP-1200 ("Ya gets whats ya pays fer, sucker!"), and is more advanced (direct drive, not PE-riddled gears), and, of course, it's not Made In The USA. I'm tempted to remortgage and buy one just to encourage even more American apoplexy. :hello2:

• 3 months later...

Marmite, my family will not suffer from it, i am 21, working hard as electricien and photographer, and have been holding the hands on my wallet for a few months now

so that means..........

that i ordered the ddm 85

• 1 month later...

my brother was so kind to travel down the roads with me to pick the mount up.

till so far, i am not happy with the ''finishing touch'' and the delivery contents... so sad for 14k of euros.......

ill keep you guys posted.

asa-01.jpg

it does look like a stunning mount and has some superb specs.....no need for guiding and the high resoloution encoders compensates for wind gusts, bad balance and polar alignment, ive been watching the progress of it very closely....the only thing thats puts me off with it is, ASA's customer service...i have delt with them in the past and not had very good experiences with them....its such a shame because the have some stunning products on offer

i will look forward to further posts from you!

• 3 years later...

Do you own one olly?

Certainly not. I know quite a few owners and I've seen what they have all been through, so I know this isn't the mount for me. Three of the owners I know have had site visits from ASA technicians. If I were going to spend that kind of money I'd go for a 10 Micron.

Olly

Archived