NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nikon D70 on a Skymax 127

Hi, tonight I get my Skymax 127 and want to know how easy / hard it would be to add my D70 to it.

I have absolutely no experience of adding DSLRs to scopes but assume I will need a special adapter - can any one advise the best one please (not too expensive).

Also, does the scope become a large lens for the camera or do I have to somehow combine an eyepiece with the camera / scope setup.

Any help greatly appreciated and thank you for my welcomes to the forum!

You need to get a T mount and a 1.25" nosepiece.

The nosepiece (Astro Engineering AC457 or equivalent) goes in the eyepiece hole instead of an eyepiece, the T mount (camera shop) screws onto the nosepiece and your camera fits onto the T mount bayonet.

Usually.

There are other ways round it but this method (called prime focus) is easiest.

HTH

Captain Chaos

Just to update CC's reply, you only need the T-adapter for the Skymax as it already has a T-thread built into the eyepiece holder. So you are looking at approx £10 to get yourself up and running.

Don't hesitate to ask any questions regarding using the Skymax 127 for imaging, we'll be more than happy to help. I personally have a fair bit of experience using that telescope with a Digital SLR....so ask away.

Regards

Russ

I've pretty much guessed who's Skymax 127 you are buying, so I'll be right in guessing you have an EQ5. If that's the case, as CC says, you will be laughing. The two are a perfect match.

Do you have drives on the EQ5? They will be essential.

Also check the Nature & Astronomy Centre link at the top of this page and then follow the link to Scopes'n'skies. They sell the T-adapter for a very good price indeed and includes free delivery.

Regards

Russ

You guessed right and I do have an EQ5 but unfortunately no drive - yet. What do you recommend?

Thanks for all the replies - I had no idea it would be so easy - I am off to Weymouth tonight - via a certain Skymax seller - and will be getting a T-mount tomorrow!

The drives are not cheap to buy new. Better brace yourself for the shock.....approx £115 in the UK! Although Perseu in Portugal do them for £85. They crop secondhand for a more wallet friendly £30-50. Especially on Ebay.

Any D70 imaging, other than terrestrial and the moon, will be pretty much hopeless with the drives.

Regards

Russ

Thanks for the info. I think I'll get used to the scope (including getting my head round the mount and how to align it properly) and then try some terrestial work and moon shots etc. Then I'll look into drives - hopefully Ebay will come to the rescue.

Thanks for all the help - still over five hours till we set off....

Oh, while I think of it - is there an adapter for astro scopes that allows them to go on a photographic tripod? I'll feel a bit daft with an EQ5 trying to point at a heron!

There will most likely be a 'photo tripod threaded hole underneath as these things are used by avid birdwatchers to watch rare stuff like Ospreys from a long way off.

Just a FYI, if you try imaging terrestrial stuff a long way off you will be disappointed as the air turbulence and general dust and muck gets in the way. There's nowt wrong with the kit, its the air that does it. When you try it out you'll also be able to see the turbulence, everything will wobble about alarmingly, that's normal.

HTH

Captain Chaos

CC is absolutely right on all counts. There is a photographic tripod thread on the bottom of the scope. Also remember everything will be upside down until you get an erecting prism (they cost very little...another £10). Also, the photo tripod will need to be fairly robust.

Russ

I have a Slik D3 which is pretty good but where do I get an erecting prism - is that a Scope n' Skies job? Also, do the drives have to be EQ5 ones or can other ones fit - e.g. one for an EQ4 (that just happens to be on Ebay at the moment).

Don't want to contradict Rus here, so I'm going to be careful.

If you use an eyepiece for watching the ducks / cricket etc. then you will need the erecting prism. That's what Rus. said and its exactly right.

However if you stick the D70 on the back, you will get right way up pictures. The pentaprism in the D70 sorts that out for you.

HTH

BTW you do know that the D70 will only work in manual exposure and won't have autofocus? (Little dot confirming that the focus is OK does work though)

Captain Chaos

Do you have a link to the EQ4 drives? I'll take a look.

Scopes'n'skies will do the erecting prism but it's more expensive than i imagined....£27.99 - 10% discount.

At least the T-adapter is cheaper though at £7.99 - 10% discount

There's normally an erecting prism on Ebay.

Regards

Russ

Thanks for the info - I'll keep a look out but first I think I need to learn more about the mount. I had realised I'd lose the automatic capabilities of my camera but that's what I love about Digital - you get to see immediately.

Now back in the days of my F80....

Archived