Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

More galaxies - Ursa Major this time

mdstuart

Another wonderfull clear but cold night.

Went for some catches in the plough that I had not yet added to my colection.

First was NGC2681 which was a mag 10 so I was expecting something a little brighter and I was not dissapointed. It was like the old days finding the messier galaxies. So bright and easily visible with direct vision. Another one like NGC 1023 in Perseus.

The other bright one tonight was NGC 2549 which was also easily visible with direct vision as a bright oval shape.:D

Also found tonight but on the faint side were NGC 2693, 2537,2639.

Finally tried NGC 1186 again in Perseus. Why can I not see this one? I even picked up NGC 1175 nearby but still no NGC 1186...

That is one thing I must report more, the ones I cannot find!

Anyway another 6 added to the list.

Finally a look at Mars. Boy is that getting bigger. Looks about 6mm accross in the 4mm Ortho. Still very bright to the eye so tough to pick out detail. I can see the polar cap and sometimes the dark markings but no canals! So Awesome!

Hope you all enjoyed the viewing even though it was -4c.

Mark

Hello Mark - yes it was cold last night. I always enjoy reading details of your observing log and your list of DSOs. I think you are right it is useful to report both successful and unsuccessful viewing.

I set up the 10" Dob side by side with the Meade 6" frac and tried to view NGC 247 following Carol's (Talitha) suggestion. Found the FOV and the 9.5 mag star at its base but could not detect the galaxy in either scope.

Over to NGC 584, 596 and 615 all grouped together in Cetus with 584 and 596 quite easy. However, 615 was very faint and could only really detect a smudge. Over to NGC 908 also in Cetus and again only really a smudge.

Switch to the frac for a view of M42 and then up to NGC 2169 and 2194 for some Orion clusters. Finally ended with M35 and its neighbour NGC 2158 both really nice in 10" with the Ethos EPs.

Thanks again for the report Mark look forward to seeing again in 2010.

Regards

mark

Another great report Mark. I have found a dark site now so hopefully when we have sorted it out with the owner of the land I can put my scope under darker skies.

Hopefully I will see some of these wonderful galaxies you are describing.

Also I always list unsucessful attempts as well, I think it's really important to make a detailed log of all you observe.

Mark

M77 is my only catch in Cetus. I did try the one nearby but could not even see that.

I think my site is good above 45 deg but below is pretty poor for the faint stuff..

I can manage mag 14.3 field stars above 45 deg on a good day at high power with averted vision. Have you tried this test with you 10 inch?

Doc

Thanks for your feedback..I will try to feeback the negatives as well.

I have just printed off a list of 5 pages of galaxies which are described as vB,cB or B in the NGC description which I have yet to bag. I think this will be a good list to work on...

Mark

Archived